add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Fractal Design R4 - Asus Z87 Sabertooth - Best Cooling Solution

AlexCoul

73 months ago

Hi there, first time posting here!

Sorry if this has been asked before but I was just looking for some advice on how best to cool my 4670k in my Fractal R4.

I'm in two minds between a Noctua NH-DH14 or a Corsair H100i. The CLC is obviously more expensive and with stock fans at least is bound to be noisier (this would be something to change further down the line).

My concern is that the H100i wouldn't fit given my motherboard's design, I'd love to know if anyone has any experience with this or if you have a H100i in an R4 could you measure the clearance? Or am I best just going for the Noctua, it's considerably cheaper and I know it will fit!

I welcome any and all responses!

Comments

• 73 months ago
  • 2 points

The NH-D14 is one of the top heat sinks on the market while also having some of the quietest fans. It's more than enough for the average user, just be mindful of potential RAM clearance issues with taller DIMMs. However, if you want the H100i, it should fit. The trick with the R4 is to offset the big radiators along the left edge (away from the motherboard) instead of centering it, like in the pictures with this build (look at the screws along the top):

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/DmW

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it correct to say the H100i would perform better with a higher over clock?

The sabertooth is a particularly large board but I guess additional holes could be made to move to cooler further away.

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Define "better." Either option will cool your rig sufficiently. It just depends on which you value more, acoustics or thermals. The NH-D14 will be quieter but slightly warmer while the H100i might be slightly cooler but louder with the added pump noise and lower quality fans.

Here's a build with better pictures of the R4 / H100i combo and this one has the Sabertooth as well. There's no need to drill extra holes in the case.

http://pcpartpicker.com/b/F90

• 73 months ago
  • 1 point

Really appreciate your help!

To be honest my preference has always been the Noctua, A friend has been trying to talk me into the H100i.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube