add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Angry man looking to improve his rig [rant enclosed]

Mothman64

37 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GwzjNN

Some background information to start:

Built this computer about three years ago on a fairly modest budget. It's my first gaming pc and my experience with it has been hit-or-miss. Some games ran and looked great. Some... Did not. (looking at you, Arkham Knight) It seems that nowadays pc hardware updates so often it's almost a fool's errand to try and keep up. What was considered mid-range hardware just a few years ago is now considered grandpa-ware unfit for the games of today. And even those of us with powerful rigs struggle with poorly optimized games. On top of that, there seems to be no love for AMD.

That being said, I want to improve my experience. I've learned that 45 fps on low-medium settings isn't enough for me like I believed it would be back when I was a naive console gamer. In fact, anything <60 fps on a computer monitor is jarring imo. Maybe I'm just jaded. Maybe I just need a monitor smaller than 1920 X 1080 or one that doesn't make games look so choppy when their framerates drop under its refresh rate.

I think this was probably all triggered by the release of Gears 4. Everyone says it looks and runs amazing but not only are half my textures funky, my framerate plummets at the drop of a shock grenade in horde. (Although my fps is admittedly 50-60 most of the time) Even though my rig is benchmarking the way it should for that game, according to its developer.

TL;DR: I don't think I've gotten enough bang for my buck. What would you all suggest as the first, most essential improvements to my rig? I have a few hundred dollars I can part with. Budget aside, let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance and please don't be an arse.

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $190.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard Asus B150 PRO GAMING/AURA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $91.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $39.99 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB GAMING X Video Card $234.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $607.96
Mail-in rebates -$50.00
Total $557.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-23 17:04 EST-0500

This would be the a pretty good upgrade for no overclocking. If you want amd you should wait a couple months for the zen lineup.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Uh, you would need the ram and mobo too as the current amd board and ram are not compatible.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I can tell already the recommended CPU and GPU would blow mine away. But could you please elaborate on why the mobo and RAM are worth swapping out? I got my current mobo because I thought it would stay relevant longer. Thanks for your input m8.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

AMD mobo is not compatible with intel cpu, it's as simple as that.

DDR3 ram is likewise not recommended/compatible with that board, tho there are ddr3 1151 skylake mobos available the higher voltage ddr3 uses can cause issues.

edit. nvidia 1060 3gig would be my pick for gpu instead, models available for considerably cheaper than that 480 while it has similar/better performance in the majority of games.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Not going to lie, I forgot my mobo was AMD haha. I'm a bit rusty. But that all makes sense.

And that GPU is sick. But, with my luck, I'll gut my pc and switch camps to Intel only to get screwed in the end. That's all speculation though. I will keep the zen stuff on my radar.

Also apologies for the delayed responses, I'm on my phone and my coverage isn't great.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

NP man.

1151 mobos will get replaced eventually ofc but atm they have plans for new compatible cpus launching through to 2018.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

That Zen cpu is making me moist guys.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube