add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Water Pump Connection to Asus Hero Alpha

CallumJParker

38 months ago

Hi all,

I am currently have my d5 pump connected to the pump header on my Hero Alpha, however this header runs the pump at 4800RPM at all times and i'm fairly sure there's no way of controlling it, even though it's a PWM header and PWM pump. I also have my radiator's fans connected to the CPU_FAN header and my exhaust fans connected to the CPU_OPT to ensure that the exhaust is always less than the intake. None of my case fan headers are occupied.

Is there anywhere else I could connect my pump to such that I could control its speed? It's the loudest component in my system at the moment.

Thanks!

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Check in the BIOS. An odd quirk I found wih Asus headers is they set fan headers aside from the CPU to DC control in the BIOS which prevents me from controlling them in fan expert 3 some times. Set the header to PWM in BIOS, set up a random manual profile and hit save. Then go into Windows and fan expert should give you control now.

Not 100 % sure if the pump header can do PWM and if not just throw the pump onto a system fan header. What I do with my D5 and Asus E-WS and following above method allows full control using Fan expert 3.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I cannot believe I missed that - so simple! Thanks for pointing that out. After all of this, all I had to do was plug the pump into a case fan header and enable PWM on it. I still don't understand why the pump header has no PWM control, yet fan xpert allows you to draw a curve for it? None of my case fan signals show up in xpert either. I've just installed it and configured everything in SpeedFan and it all works perfectly. Thanks so much!!

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it safe to assume you've gone into Fan Xpert 3 through the AI Suite to change the speed? How about the BIOS?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply. Yes, i've gone into Fan Xpert 3 and tried to change the speed. Despite having the connector connected into the water pump header, the water pump curve on Xpert has no effect on the speed of the pump. On the bios it says that the pump is running at 4800 RPM. There is no option to change this speed on the BIOS.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

It would be best to leave it at full speed, and a lot of people do. For my system, it's sitting on my desk and I stupidly mounted the pump directly onto the case's bottom-most surface. It is a modded build so the pump was fitting by me in the exact location I chose, so it transfers a fair amount of vibration to my desk. Also, the pump is the loudest component in my system when at 100%. I have all 6 of my fans at around 800 RPM.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Just uninstalled it and worked out the solution. Got everything configured with SpeedFan and it's working perfectly. Thanks so much for your input! :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube