add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Replacing 1 HDD with SDD new Win 10 install.

Boboldgamer
  • 42 months ago

I now have 2: Western Digital Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" One is basically empty and the other has Windows 7 and everything else on that drive. I want to upgrade to a SSD and install Windows 10 home. So I want to end up with 1 SSD and 1 HDD . What is the best way to go about this? Which HDD should I remove? I do not want or need Windows 7 but I do want all the data that is on that HDD.

Should I backup all the data I want to keep then replace the Windows 7 HDD with the SSD windows 10? Then download the data I backed up? Or can I just keep the HDD with everything on it and win 10 will ignore Win 7 ?

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Put Windows on the SSD and make that your primary boot drive. When you load up and go through the registration and get to the desktop, open up the file explorer and copy over whatever files you want onto the new storage.

Keep in mind you'll more than likely have to reinstall all the programs that you want to use.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

OK, what about my files I have on the HDD with Win7? When I finish the SSD and Win10 install, and the computer boots to that,,,then I want to look at "my pictures" that are on my HDD, how do I do that? Or if I want to look at "documents" that are on the HDD ? I'm not clear on what I need to do with my existing HDD files that I want to keep and access . Thanks!

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I gotcha now. I misread the post I guess? Idk, anyway lol

Plug your SSD in and when you turn on the computer go into the Bios and select the SSD as your primary boot device. When you exit the Bios it should take you to the Windows installation screen; follow the steps to install it.

Now you have two options. You could plug in the HDD with all the data and simply delete the Windows files (which should work but sometimes it can be a bit finicky when you try to delete Windows).

Alternatively, you could have both of your HDDs in the computer and move over whatever data you want from the one with Win7 to the empty one, then reformat the drive that has Win7 to clear all data off of it. With this you'd have the SSD with your OS, your HDD with docs/photos, and one completely empty HDD.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I understand now! Thank you very much.

[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I have no idea. I'm not very experienced either. I vaguely understand what you are talking about :)

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube