add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What power supply should i get?

BetaGrunt

32 months ago

I just got my Pc shipped in and i think i need to upgread the power supply asap. It came with a power supply brand I have never heard off "Ls ultra 500wt ". I know its a important part that can kill everything if it goes bad. The replacements I was looking at are the Rosewill Quark-550, Quark Series 550W Full Modular Power Supply 80 PLUS Platinum or CORSAIR CX series CX500 500W 80 PLUS BRONZE. I would love to hear your input thanks.

Comments

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Go with the Quark. Far better than the CX500.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

what about the Quark vs the CX550M?

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

The Quark is still better based off what we can confirm with current reviews.

-Higher quality fan that'll last longer especially considering sleeve bearing fans as in the CX and CXMs (both old and new) don't last as long when working horizontally, although the Quark's fan will likely be a bit louder considering the higher fan speeds and that ball bearing fans tend to get noisier over time, particularly at higher operating temperatures (remember where the fan is being used!)

-Better capacitors all-around ( More solid polymer caps for filtering especially on the main PCB, primary cap with better ripple current rating and +50V higher max voltage which will help its lifespan slightly while still being from the same manufacturer with the same max temp, secondary caps all from more trustworthy manufacturers)

-Higher efficiency (sorry), largely thanks to its LLC resonant converter

Otherwise, they are somewhat comparable in performance trading inconsequential blows with the Quark having better voltage ripple and noise but the CXM having slightly better load regulation. Both demonstrate roughly similar transient response performance.

Both have a full set of protections, although whether all are implemented and working on the Quark hasn't been confirmed. For things that Paul Johnson at HardOCP didn't test on the Quark like voltage hold-up time, inrush current, and crossload performance, we can't say much for certain. The hold-up time will most likely be better on the Quark thanks to a higher capacity primary cap, although whether or not the power good signal drops before voltages go below spec is anyone's guess. The inrush current could be higher because of the higher capacity primary cap. However, it's probably not large enough to be problematic (i.e. tripping breakers or causing damage to the PSU) because the primary cap isn't large in capacity and you still have that thermistor to lower the inrush current so it's a minor thing to worry about. I would expect crossload performance to be similar between the two PSUs since they both use DC-DC converters to generate the minor rails and both demonstrated solid performance outside of crossloads.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow. Ok, thanks

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely the Quark, its mile better than the CX.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube