add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Sparkle PSPS-500 PS Series Power Supply - 500W, ATX, 120mm Fan, Silver Model #PSPS-500

Mspc123
  • 40 months ago

This power supply was given to me. May i have some feedback on whether I should use it, why/why not.

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Will you be using this PSU in a system where you value the data stored on it, and aren't okay with the possibility of it dying?

If the answer to that is yes, then I wouldn't use this PSU. The only time I wouldn't recommend against using it is if you use it as a PSU in a budget system you don't really care about, that is also fairly low powered.

Several things about this sends of warning lights in my head:

1.) It isn't 80+ certified. Now just because a PSU isn't 80+ certified doesn't necessarily mean it is bad (plenty of bad 80+ certified units), but it does reflect on the components inside the PSU. This is likely a very old PSU, that uses cheap components inside to save as much money as possible. This PSU almost certainly will not supply anywhere near 500w of power, especially on the 12v rail, see Jonnyguru's article for more details.

2.) I'm 99% sure that this is a group regulated design. This is a poor and cheap way of building a PSU, as monitoring each voltage that the PSU supplies as it's own entity, the PSU will monitor both the 12v and 5v at the same time. On a group regulated PSU, you won't get anywhere near the rated wattage on the 12v rail, which almost all of the components in the system use (like your GPU and CPU, the power hungry stuff.) To make matters worse, if you use too much power on the 12v rail w/ your GPU and PSU, you can cause the 5v to increase in voltage as well, which could damage your other components.

3.) There's a lot more stuff, but I'll leave it at that. IMO, not worth the unecessary risk. Will it kill your system? Probably not, but these PSUs were not made for gaming systems (if that's what you will use it for), I'd rather spend an extra $30 and get a PSU that I'll feel safe with.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much! I feel bad about not using it, but I'd much rather tell them It wouldn't be good in the long run and I'm doing it for the better.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Make a photo of the sticker on the side. Sparkle is a subsidiary of FSP, so many of them are good.

Also your setup, we can never say anything without knowing it.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is the one I think OP was talking about.

It just looks like an old OEM PSU, things like the Passive PFC, lack of 80+, 25 A on the 12v (assuming that the listed specs are right), which probably won't get to 25A, and will start crossloading the 5v baaad.

FSP is great, but I just don't feel comfortable about using a PSU (assuming it's for gaming), that was never designed for that kind of stress on the 12v.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, it doesn't look like any good designs like GHN, GLN, GLC, HHN, HLN or others.

By the way - that one doesn't have PFC at all (not passive).

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Oops, you're totally right. I automatically saw the voltage selector switch on the back and thought Passive PFC, in addition to the voltage doubler.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube