add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Installation order: Drivers before updates or the other way around?

trueboss345
  • 42 months ago

I have a question concerning the order of operations done after a clean install.

Basically my question is this: Which of the following things should I install first: drivers (FYI I will be installing the latest drivers for my hardware and OS from the manufacturer's websites) or Windows 10 updates (excluding the drivers provided via Windows Update since those are known to not work properly especially compared to the drivers provided by the manufacturers)?

One way I can think of is disconnecting the network cable to prevent Windows Update from interfering with my driver installs and then plug it back in once I'm done. But i would like to know your guys' opinions.

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I always do drivers first then windows updates. I also like to just leave it off the network as well to prevent any windows from doing anything behind the scenes.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree with remisc. Don't connect to the internet until after you have loaded all of your drivers. I'm going thru this myself know and Windows 10 automatically uploads updates once connected to the net. Once Windows 10 is updated, then I go back to the mobo manufacturer website and see what drivers need to be updated. Hope this helps.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube