add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

AIO Water Cooler on a non overclocked CPU?

mrnum83r

38 months ago

Hey there, I have an i7-6700k on stock clocks, currently cooled by a Cryorig m9i. Is there any point in getting an AIO water cooler? My next upgrade will be a Z series mobo, as I might overclock it later on.

Regards, Alex

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

Is there any point in getting an AIO water cooler?

IMO no.

I would wait until you have a z mobo and are ready to oc, and even then the m9 is a nice lil cooler and should let you dabble in oc when you're ready with a AIO being more useful if you want to get a high and sustained oc.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Exactly makes more sense investing on a Z170 mobo instead of an AIO as he has an aftermarket cooler already.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

There's no problem in getting an AIO Liquid CPU Cooler. It may be a bit overkill. Although if you aren't satisfied with temps of your current CPU, you should purchase it. If you do, you may want to overclock that beast of a CPU or potential will go wasted. That is what I plan to do is overclock my i5-6600k/i7-6700k with an AIO cooler. Definitely worth it.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Zero pointing in getting one since you already have a aftermarket cooler. You could even overclock with the M9i.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

I would keep the Cryorig m9i. It is a very good cooler and it will be more than enough for you to OC your i7. You might not get all the "juice" out of your CPU but you can still achieve some decent clock speed. Also AIO have a tendency to leak and degrade with time, which will decrease its performance

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube