add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

EVGA 650watt P2 vs. G3 vs. Corsair?

zuvanius
  • 40 months ago

Hello! I was thinking about buying the EVGA supernova 650watt P2, but after seeing the new G3 model release im not sure which PSU to go for? Is there any sort of new technology in the G3 series that justifies the lower power efficiency rating? I was also considering the Corsair RM650i, so if i'm paying more for the G3 should i just jump for the corsair at that point? Overall i'm just looking at a fairly nice, but not extravagant psu for when i upgrade my cpu/mobo here in a few weeks. Thank you!

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

One justification is that the 80+ efficiency means jack **** other than saving a few thousandths of a cent on the slight increase in actual power draw from a gold vs. a platinum. Also, from what I remember, the RMi series is fairly old and is not as high quality as the other two power supplies.

• 40 months ago
  • 4 points

the RMi series is fairly old and is not as high quality as the other two power supplies.

Uhh none of them are old, the RMx/RMi is actually newer than the P2, and all 3 have great build quality. I think you are confusing the RMi with the RM.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Ohhh, yes I am. Sorry.

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

This will help you get an idea how much the changes in efficiency will make to power costs http://www.orionpsudb.com/efficiency-calculator

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

There are savings to be had with going from gold to platinum but it's going to heavily rely on what the computer is being used for. With normal use (idle/workstation/gaming) and depending on your power costs where you live, you may be looking at a $3-5 per year in savings. More if you tend to keep your computer turned on 24/7 like a lot of people. You also typically have higher grade components in platinum and titanium psu's which are beneficial.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

That is indeed true for the most part, though you can't determine how good the components are simply based on efficiency, especially because the tests can lie.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed. Hence the word "typically." :)

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, from what I remember, the RMi series is fairly old and is not as high quality as the other two power supplies.

No, that's the original RM series.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I realized that too late. I was mixing RM and CMi.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I would go with the P2. It's the cheapest out of those three. The G3 does have some better technology inside, but it's main draw is that it's a little smaller than a normal psu which is helpful for small cases. All three are very solid choices but it doesn't make sense to spend more on a Gold rated psu when you can get a Platinum in regards to the three you provided.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks guys, I'll probably just still with the P2 then unless theres some major difference that the Corsair has. So far, i've only found that the fan is quieter

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube