add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Using 3 prong to 2 prong adapters

zach2519
  • 40 months ago

Looking all over the internet has given me some conflicting answers about whether or not to use these. I know 2 prong outlets are not grounded, but is it true connecting the tab on the adapter under the screw of the outlet will effectively ground whatever's plugged into it?

My only option is to plug both my computer and monitor into the same outlet, both using a 3 to 2 prong adapter. Will I be able to fasten the tabs on both the adapters under the screw? Would using this setup even be safe? Surges in my house are not common (knock on wood), so I guess my main concern is either starting a fire and/or drawing too much power from the outlet and harming my PC. What do??

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

For what it's worth, the outlet I would be using I currently use to plug my laptop into by using one of these adapters, and have been using it for months with no problem.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

^ My question also, and I would use a "power strip" an any case.

[comment deleted]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

So attaching the ground wire to the outlet cover won't suffice? Or am I still missing it?

[comment deleted]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

You're right, I have seen cases where they only ran 2 wires, but that's been years ago, and an insurance/fire inspector is a human. He/she could have missed it. I'd get an electrician to check it.

[comment deleted]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

How could I find out if it's wired to be grounded by using the tab on the adapter?

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube