add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cryorig C7 or Noctua NH-L9i

thisunami

37 months ago

Looking to make a Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC and cant decide between these two coolers. My priority is silence I know noctua is known for it's silent operation but logic tells me the greater surface area of the cryorig means i can run the fan at a lower speed meaning lower noise output. but then again i could just get the a9 fan for the noctua so i feel like it's back to square one.

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 3 points

You have the 6700k which is a 91 Watts tdp cpu. The noctua is rated for up to 65 watts while the cryorig up to 100 watts. So to get adequate cooling go with cryorig. Its also cheaper!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree. Just out of curiosity though, which cooler would be most silent when paired with an i5 6500 or so. I assume the difference won't be that noticeable but would still like advice. Thanks.

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

My build has the NF-A9x14 pwm fan on back (fan on nh-l9i) and its extremely silent..I don't have a C7 to compare but based on specs, both under load at max speed, the noctua would be quieter. But again the c7 should also dissipate more heat so you could run the fan at lower speed setting.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

So basically the l9i is quieter where as the c7 cools better.

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

I would like to say so (at max speed).. but I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue if you run the fan at a silent pwm setting with the c7 considering its a 65 watts cpu and more heat "should" be dissipated.

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Cool. Thanks for the info.

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

I've got a Node 202. I would recommend the C7. I've used both and the C7 was the better of the two choices, specially at higher tdp's.

But the C7 has it's draw backs. When under load, the fan speed increase drastically and is fricken LOAD. I wound up pulling it and setting a Corsair Blademaster 120mm HP fan on it. The case has a "cushioned" filter right above the CPU so it holds the fan in place with just enough pressure to keep it from moving around. THAT was a great move and temps have been incredible.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube