add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Transfer Operating system?

corbeno
  • 42 months ago

I'm building a super budget gaming PC, and I have an old potato of a computer that I'm using now. My old computer has windows 10 upgraded from 8 a while back. Like I said, I'm trying to save some money, and don't want to drop $100 on a new OS (I want windows 10). Is there any way I could "transfer" my current setup to a new hard drive (preferably for free...)? That being said, I would really want to just transfer the OS, nothing else on my PC. (I want to wipe it so I don't worry about viruses or such from my old PC).

I'm not very good with how operating systems work (at all).

Any help? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

It would really be useful if you had a boot disk or a boot USB and just put the fresh OS onto the new hard drive. I've never transferred an OS... I don't think you can simply move the files.

You could reuse the old hard drive (not recommended if you have a slow HDD) and simply restore the hard drive through windows options but keeping the OS intact.

What's your new build? What kind of hard drive is the old one? Which OS?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

My old build is a store-bought pc from a few years ago. That means I have no windows install of any kind, it came with windows 8. It currently is running windows 10 as I upgraded it when it came out (hated windows 8). Heres my new build (currently, it changes as I find other parts I prefer).

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/corbeno/saved/#view=HbDqsY

I also know you can clone the hard drive, but I don't know how that all works.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

How would you find out of it's an OEM licensed version or not?

Also, It's a "dell" version of windows, and I don't want any of that crap that comes with it (performance!). If i download the windows 10 ISO from the Microsoft site and use the key that I get (if I can get) will it be a fresh install of windows without anything else from other companies addd to it?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

... It's a "dell" version of windows ...

That is OEM.
Legally not transferable.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Aka anything store-bought with the OS already installed?

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

Correct.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, thank-you for the information!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube