add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How reliable or good does a power supply have to be?

HitmanTurkey
  • 40 months ago

While revising my parts list I came across a problem. I noticed that I could get a power supply that was only $50 or one that was $70. One was Gold rated and the other was bronze. I can't decide does the rating really matter? If I do go with the cheap one will it crap out in a year or two? What kind of standards do I need to have when buying a power supply?

Please help I don't know what I'm doing and this is one of my final parts.

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

this question has many answers...

ill say this:

the rating is basically just an indicator of efficiency, which matters for your electric bill a bit... OFTEN the higher ratings are also better quality, but not always, and not always compared with different model series...

The manufacturer and model of a unit is far more important than the rating alone. I would never trust a Logisys even if it was platinum rated when a bronze Antec is an option instead... And i would rather have a Bronze EVGA B2 unit than a gold Raidmax...So the model is far more important in terms of quality...

What ones are you deciding between?

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

would never trust a Logisys even if it was platinum rated

You mean "platinum" rated.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha, fair enough... Kinda reinforced my point too lol

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply From parametric selection (show) and the EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply those are the two.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

If that evga is a b2, then it's a great unit... If it's a b1, then pass it over...

The seasonic is the better one though.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

will they both last the same amount of time? Will either of them crap out?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

What does B1 and B2 mean when choosing a PSU?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

B1 and B2 are just a part of the model numbers for a couple of EVGA's PSU series. EVGA only has a 750W and 850W model with B2 in the model number (and the series name). Those two PSUs are more reliable long-term, perform better, are more modern than the 450W / 500W / 600W "B1s", and are semi-modular instead of having all fixed cables (all compared to the "B1s" from EVGA).

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

different models, same name... the original model was the b1, but it was revised and made into the b2 line, which did FAR better in all the reviews and is considered much higher quality.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

So for the money a B1 is alright. $43 is god for a b1 that will last me a while but not as long as a 750 b2.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Newegg has both the G 550 and the G 650 for 69.99 before a $15 mail-in rebate, and there's an additional $5 off promo code for the 650.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151118

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

What are the names of the psu's?

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply and the

SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply From parametric selection

[comment deleted]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

The Seasonic G is a fair amount better than the CXM.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

yes i know but i was just saying if op is looking for a cheaper model to go for a cx450m but if he has the money the seasonic G is a no brainer.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube