add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
EV4NS

32 months ago

Hello! I was looking into upgrading my gaming PC and needed some help. I am planning to upgrade my CPU, Mobo, GPU and possibly RAM. I am working with 800-1000 but would like to keep it closer to 800. I prefer Intel and Nvidia. Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• 32 months ago
  • 2 points

Since you haven't given us any specs to work with from your current build, I'm gonna go ahead and make this suggestion. It's essentially a worst-case scenario in which none of the current parts are reusable. It's solid for ultra 1080p gaming and has plenty of room to make things nicer within the budget. If nothing else, it's a great starting point. But once we know what you have currently, we can get some custom-tailored responses that will be more useful.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $191.91 @ Jet
Motherboard MSI B150M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $57.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $45.88 @ OutletPC
Storage ADATA Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $48.60 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card $249.99 @ Jet
Case Deepcool KENDOMEN Red ATX Mid Tower Case $47.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $89.00 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $851.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-15 01:28 EST-0500
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

What do you think of that case? What are its pros and cons and what does it compare to?

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

For the price it's pretty solid. It comes with five preinstalled fans which is definitely one of the big pros. The aesthetics aren't too bad, though I do prefer a more subtle design overall. It also offers some pretty good cooler compatibility, with plenty of room for some of the somewhat big air coolers, and support for 240mm rads on the top slot.

Build quality is largely mediocre, but it's on par with other cases of similar price.

I tend to compare it to the Corsair 200R, though it offers better dust filters. Overall I consider the Kendomen to be a better value than the 200R.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool, thanks! Would this case also be a solid choice for a mid level budget in Australia? (55 - 75$)

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

We need to know your entire computer's precise specifications before we can tell you how to upgrade it.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 32 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $230.98 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Antec KUHLER H2O 1250 98.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Purchased For $0.00
Motherboard MSI Z170A Tomahawk AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $141.99 @ Jet
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $53.02 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $0.00
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB GAMING X Video Card $263.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Rosewill THOR V2 ATX Full Tower Case Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $74.99 @ NCIX US
Monitor Acer H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor Purchased For $0.00
Monitor Acer GN246HL 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor Purchased For $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $764.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-12-15 18:02 EST-0500

Your CPU is definitely the most in need of upgrading here, and switching that out will necessitate a new motherboard and RAM.

• Upgraded the processor to a modern Intel one. The 6600K is signficantly faster than the FX-8350, so you should see a very large performance increase with that alone. It's unlocked so you can make use of your Antec AIO.

• Changed motherboard to support the new CPU. It's a Z170 board so you can overclock the 6600K.

• Changed RAM to support new CPU and motherboard. It's still a 2x4GB kit, but it'll be slightly faster than your previous one.

• Upgraded graphics card. The RX 480 is much newer and more powerful than the GTX 680. A GTX 1060 6GB is an alternative option.

• Changed power supply. The EVGA G2 unit in this list has lower wattage but much better power management and reliability. There's still enough wattage to power everything in the list, and the higher construction quality makes it more conducive to heavy overclocking than your current Rosewill unit.

Since you're moving to a new motherboard, you may need to buy a new copy of Windows depending on which type of OS license you currently have.

• 32 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube