add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Old man & First build, PSU question

andhonor
  • 40 months ago

Greetings, my name is Mike. I'm new here, and looking over everything I need to build a new PC. I'm mid sixties, so don't play games. Last game I played, was Pong, about 25 years ago. I do some photo editing though, and my old LGA775, just ain't making it anymore. I'm looking at the PSU's to go with my i56600K, and Evo 850. I read someplace that with these new chips, power is important. I also read a "Haswell" ready PSU, was best, because it's made for the 6th gen CPU's. If this is true, then I tried searching in PSU section with search word Haswell. Nothing came up. I do, see the certified units, and I pan on going with an 80 plus gold. I understand I'm way out of date tech wise, but do I actually have this correct? Haswell, for the latest CPU's? Thanks friends I'll be asking more questions, as I get more items for my build. To many Mother boards out there. Heck, when I built my last PC, you had either MAC, or PC. Have to decide on a MOB next.Mike

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

500-650w will do

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

OK thank you. I'm nit sure if this shows what I have so far. It's not much. I'm doing to much reading of reviews, rather then just going with a decent board and forgetting the reviews. Again, I don't game, rather do some photographic work. Mike

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

kindly send us you spec?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Did my build ever show up? I'm not even sure, how to get back to my original post I started, anyone have an idea how I can do that?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

wdym?

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Most of the ratings aren't worth looking at, as units you think would be better sometimes aren't. The PSU isn't a part you want to cheap out on, as if it goes down it has the potential to take your whole computer down with it.

A decent base unit to have would be from the Corsair CXM Series. If you want very good quality, the EVGA G2, Corsair RMx, or Seasonic G series PSUs are all very high quality units and are built to last. Anything more would generally be overkill as these units would do just as good a job.

You also want around 80% usage on your PSU at max load, so whatever pcpp lists as your build's wattage, take about 80% (give or take) for the best efficiency. This isn't to say you couldn't pair a 1000W PSU with a build that only uses 250W, it just wouldn't be as power efficient.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you very much, now I have an idea where to start looking. Both the EVGA, and Seasonic, have been the main two I'm considering, Of course, every brand has it's share of DOA's, and unhappy consumers. This old LGA77 I have now, uses a Corsair HX-620, I bought new when it was built. Never, had a second of problems with it. But, I'll buy everything new. Again, thank you. Mike

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Of course, every brand has it's share of DOA's, and unhappy consumers.

Absolutely. Seems like you're already miles above others on this site lol

If you have questions about anything else on your build, this community is fantastic. Feel free to message me as well and I'll get back to you when I can.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Can we look at you parts list for this build? As knowing if you are going to use a GPU and what GPU will will make a massive difference to what PSU is recommended

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Hello, sure it's fine if you look at what I have picked out so far. Do you need something from me, to view it? I'm brand new here, which is why I have to ask. Mike

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm more than happy to have a look at what you've already got picked out and make sure that it's all good. So all you have to do is to comment with the permalink to the build and I'll be able to see it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube