add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows transfer?

Feixy
  • 42 months ago

Hey I have this old desktop I got at a thriftstore and was wondering if I would be able to transfer windows off of it to another pc. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

If the Windows version is OEM, then no.
Microsoft:

Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—...

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I just did that with my first build. I had an old broken laptop laying around. It was a windows 7 laptop that i upgraded to windows 10 before it broke. After installing windows and using the free version for a day I thought what the hell its worth a shot and sure enough it worked.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting. You manually inserted the product key into W10 on your custom-built PC?

How long has it remained activated?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

its been several days no problems. I know someone else who did it several months ago

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube