add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Seasonic 860W???

denverbronc7
  • 77 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/denverbronc7/saved/33ii

Here is my all-but-completed build thus far. As far as my CPU goes, I have an AMD FX-9370 on the way that I got for a steal.... I primarily game and stream videos, gaming (mainly MMO and the occasional FPS when I get bored with MMOs) will be the most "straining" on my system.

Here is the issue- First Time Builder, first time messing with Liquid Cooling, and a few months down the road I will be messing with OC for the first time as well.

From what I have read, will this PSU leave room for a single GPU (MAYBE a second GPU...but I will definitely upgrade my GPU when I start to mess with OCing my rig) as well as OCing my PC???

Here is the kicker....I have $175 is Best Buy Gift Cards. This Seasonic is the ONLY Seasonic that can be purchased using Best Buy's Third Party Vendors on their Website. Anything comparable would be appreciated.

Notes, thoughts, suggestions? Overkill? Do I have to go all "TOOL TIME" on my build's *** and GET MORE POWER????

Comments

• 77 months ago
  • 2 points

In the end what card will you end up having two of? That will decide whether or not you need to upgrade you PSU. If you SLI the card you have picked now you won't need to upgrade but if you plan on getting a 7970 or GTX 770/780 SLI you'll need at least a 1000w PSU.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

I see.... I bought the last card PURELY on a close friend's recommendation. And since I have started my research for my current build I have not researched any GPU (only heard about what is common within various threads).

(sounding totally ignorant) Is there even a wattage usage for GPUs? Do you just simply add the wattage together when running SLI/Xfire? Or does is have any kind of mulitplication factor applied to it when SLI/Xfire (keep in mind the CPU will be OC later on....if that even becomes a factor).

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

First: as a recommendation for what GPU to upgrade to, I would recommend either an Asus or EVGA GTX 770 (buy the Asus one if you want to OC). Second: yes, your GPU is one of the big users of your PSU's wattage, even more than you CPU. If you want to SLI/Xfire a GTX 770 or Radeon 7970 buy a 1000w PSU. Keep with Seasonic or Corsair if you do the corsair AX1000i would be my recommendation if you upgrade to 1000w. If you have anymore questions about PC parts feel free to ask and I'll help you as best as I can.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

I disagree with RAM, an 860W will be plenty for any SLI/Xfire (though I don't know about a 7990). Unless you're putting in custom loops and blocks etc, you don't need anything but an 860w. However, if you were to TRI-SLI, then possibly another psu would be needed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiWThqgFfI4

• 77 months ago
  • 2 points

Here is a recent review of the power supply if it helps with your decision.

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/5011/seasonic-platinum-series-v2-660w760w860w-review-extremely-efficient

• 77 months ago
  • 2 points

You can run two 770s and an OCed CPU on an 860 platinum PSU

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

I appreciate the heads up! With my CPU and MOBO on the way I don't want to make a quick decision on my PSU that won't allow me the option to run 2 GPUs down the road.....

When I read the replies last night I lost hope in my choice and figured that I was about to start my search over.

my only concern is the 220Watt AMD FX-9370.....it runs 100Watts higher than the 8350.....I will still be okay when I OC my CPU and (possibly) run 2 of the 770s later on???

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!

• 77 months ago
  • 2 points

It depends to be honest, if you're going to try to run heavy O/Cs on the CPU and both GPUs I would feel better recommending the 1000w PSU however if you're just overclocking the CPU 860 should be fine.

GPU wattage draws are overestimated as it is and that platinum PSU has about a 91-92% efficiency rating

In the long run if you're insanely worried about it maybe the 1000w PSU is something you'd look into

Send LeMonarque a PM, he is a bit more familiar with wattage requirements/PSU efficiency than I am

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, as long as you plan on adding more/better cards, this seasonic psu looks fine. I highly suggest upgrading that card before you start to add more. The psu will fit 3 of that level of card or 2 higher-end cards. I don't think you'll have to go "tool time" on this build lol. I'm going to building a pc in the same situation as you this Friday. First time, first time using liquid cooling, and I will be oc'ing as well. Good luck to us both :D.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

I know I SHOULD upgrade....but at this point, I have my CPU/MOBO on the way. Need to get my PSU to be able to run them so I don't have really pretty shelf-ornaments that I cannot power. Once I get the PSU taken care of, I will upgrade my RAM and then later on worry about my GPU(s).

I appreciate the info and good luck to you!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube