add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I downloaded a Windows 10 ISO file, is it possible to put this on a USB and boot from the USB

Bridger22
  • 41 months ago

To cut a long story short, I needed to download Windows 10 onto a USB in order to install it on my new PC. However, when I inserted my USB for the windows 10 installer tool ((found here))[https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO] my empty/ clean USB would not show up. I had no other USB, so I just downloaded the ISO file instead and moved that to the USB.

I then plugged in the USB to the new PC and tried to boot the new PC with the USB with the Windows 10 ISO file on it and it didn't work.

I don't currently have a windows PC available to me at the moment, but I do have some CD/ DVDs that I can clean and burn the ISO file onto. Would it be possible to burn the windows 10 ISO file onto a CD and then boot from the CD to try and get windows 10 installed on my new PC?

I would really appreciate any help at this point, almost at my wits end with it all, thank you!!

Comments

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you write the ISO to the USB using a tool, like Rufus? Or did you just put it on there?

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Does the Microsoft Media Creation tool create bootable I think so.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube