add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help wiping and installing new OS on new pc

Jakesky
  • 42 months ago

Hello I just recently acquired my cousins old desktop. He unfortunately passed away 2 years ago in a car crash. It's an older gateway fx 6840 15e i7 870, 8gb ram, 1tb HD, and a radeon 5750. The computer is locked behind a password for his password. My question is how I could go about resetting his password or if it'd be easier to just wipe the pc and install a new OS? If so how would I go about doing that? Any advice and feedback is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

... gateway fx 6840 15e ... is locked behind a password for his password...

If you meant that Windows 7 is password protected and you not having anything that needs to be recovered from the hard drive,
You can use the Returning your system to its factory condition procedure(s) as detailed in the system's manual.
If you do not have the manual,
You can download it from the Gateway support website, listed under Documents tab: Gateway

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube