add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

MSI Z87M or Asus Z87 Gryphon?

cgilmore024
  • 78 months ago

I realize there is a very similar topic, probably underneath this post but I'm still in need of a little advice.

I'm building a Micro ATX gaming build in a Corsair 350D and can't decide on what Mobo to get.

I thought I had decided on the ASUS Gryphon, since ASUS has a good reputation, has great features, and great performance. Right now it's selling around the $160 price point.

But then I stumbled across the MSI Z87M GAMING Micro ATX board on Newegg. Does anyone have any experience with this brand of MSI boards, or this board in particular? Seems to be the mATX version of the full ATX board. From what I understand it's only been out for a couple months but I couldn't find very many quality/in depth reviews on it. Mostly just what MSI has on their marketing page. I can't tell if the features on this board would be useful or if their gaming branded boards are basically just marketing BS.

I like the color scheme on the MSI board better than the ASUS. But I'm willing to go with performance over aesthetics if it comes down to that. My GPU is ASUS as well if that helps, I dunno if matching brands make much difference though.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

There's always going to be marketing BS haha just how it is

To be honest I've seen a ton of people using both MSI and ASUS boards and seen great reviews from both and seen bad reviews from both. I have the ASUS sabertooth and love it but it has more features than I'll most likely ever use but ended up buying it for the thermal armor as it looked awesome

To be honest I've been wanting to get my hands on the MSI board ever since I saw it but I don't have any use for it to be honest so that won't be happening

I can comfortably say that I feel you'd be happy with either

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool, thanks for the reply. I think I'm leaning towards the MSI board at the moment. I'm just usually pretty skeptical about anything branded for "gamers". I just don't have too much experience with MSI and their products.

If I get the MSI board I'll let you know how it performs. I'm not a big fan of all the dragons but the red/black color scheme is pretty slick.

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha ya I've never been to keen on the dragon graphic myself but the red/black looks good to me

Like I said I feel both will probably give you equal performance in the end but if I were choosing I would probably go with the MSI board as well

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

Msi is good, im using a msi motherboard right now and have had no issues.

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

Glad to hear it. I'm definitely leaning that direction at the moment. I think it would look really good with some red and black corsair fans.

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are going mATX you can go with either the TUF GRYPHON or the Maximus VI GENE both are outstanding boards. There will be no difference in the overall stability, quality or overclocking ability. The difference will be in the functionality and features. That being noted there are consistent features between both boards that provide a great baseline in regards to the value and functionality you have.

As you do have an ASUS GPU you do have an advantage pairing it with an ASUS MB. You can run in optimized GOP UEFI mode. If you install your OS in native UEFI mode with fast boot enabled this allows you to have very quick posts and boots.

Some of the consistent features on both boards.

Fan Xpert II - Advanced fan control offered per header as well as offering 3 and 4 pin support. The advanced control parameters are offered in both the UEFI ( BIOS ) as well as with the OS. There are also great automatic profiling options which will automatically measure the fans for their min and max levels of operation. This allows for ideal profiling of the fans ( such as quiet or standard ) which are based specifically on your fans ( MSI does not have )

USB 3.0 Boost - A feature that allows the bus protocol for transmission to be shifted to different operating modes. This can allow flash drives or high speed external devices to have much higher levels of performance. ( MSI does not have )

USB Charger+ - An advanced quick charging option for mobile devices ( tablets, smartphones, eReaders etc ) It works under varied S states ( so sleep, hibernation or even with the system power off ). In addition it provides quicker charging times. ( MSI does not have ) They do offer a quick charge function optimized for iOS devices.

Ai Charger+ - An advanced quick charging option for iOS devices. It works under varied S states ( so sleep, hibernation or even with the system power off ). In addition it provides quicker charging times.

USB Bios Flashback - A specialized hardware implementation that allows for direct UEFI ( bios ) “flashing” updating or recovery. It can be executed even if the system fails to power on or post. Additionally it can be executed without a CPU, Memory / RAM or Graphics Card being installed. All that is required is a PSU to be connected and powered on. ( MSI does not have )

Getting into each oboard whether it is the GRYPHON or the GENE gets you a lot more but depends on what your focus is.

Gene Improved audio which is SupremeFX isolated audio design Mcombo adapter allowing you to easily install a wireless card and not affect slot expansion Support for the OC Panel http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813995019 More SATA ports Superior VRM components 3 year warranty with APS ( advanced RMA ) More USB ports On board buttons

Gryphon Advanced thermal radar implementation ( onboard sensors allowing for extensive temperature monitoring across the entire board ) Specially design PCB with thermal convection holes for superior onboard temperatures Thermal Armor support http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813995016 5 year warranty with APS ( advanced RMA )

Either which way you cannot go wrong. Hope this helps and best of luck with your build!

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow, thanks for the detailed response!

I really like ASUS products and would love to be able to match up the Mobo with the GPU, since it seems there are some good benefits to it.

I would love the Gene because of it's features and awesome color scheme. I found a good deal at a local Micro Center on the Gene so hopefully I'll be able to snag it before it's gone.

Since I'm going for a mATX build, fan connectors are a concern. Which board has more case fan options? The Gryphon or the Gene?

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

The GENE is a beast and the fan controls are outstanding you have a total of 5 fan headers supporting both 3 pin and 4 pin.

The GRYPHON does have slightly more with a total of 7 if you consider the assist fan an option. If not it would be 6.

Best of luck with the build.

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome, thanks for your help!

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube