add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Order of Operations

toxicatom5
  • 42 months ago

I've been watching some videos about how to put everything together, and now I'm starting to think ahead to getting through that first boot, bios, etc. I'm not sure I completely understanding the order in which to do a couple of things though when it comes to the gpu. Are you supposed to:

A) Attach the graphics card to the mobo, and connect directly to the gpu for video output during the very first boot?

B) Attach the graphics card to the mobo, but connect to the mobo for video output. Then go though bios, install the OS and drivers, and finally switch the video output over to the gpu?

C) Go through bios and install the OS before attaching the gpu to the mobo?

Based upon the videos I'm seeing, I think it has to be either A or B, but any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

If/when using a discrete video card, connect to video card not the mobo.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

That helps! Thanks for clearing that up for me!

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Along the same lines: should everything be connected for the first boot? I had assumed just keyboard and monitor, but should the mouse and ethernet cable be hooked in as well?

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

... should everything be connected for the first boot?

Absolutely not. Connect only the essentials then test for POST.
If system has no problem getting to POST, then add one device at a time, adding device while system is shutdown of course, until system is completely assembled.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm glad I'm asking these things because I'd be lost without the knowledge of everyone here! Thanks again!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube