add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Electrical problems

Trotterz
  • 39 months ago

Is it normal to get electric shock from a pc, its mostly happen everytime i try to open some screws, touching the case (sometimes), plugging something to the usb port (only happen if the usb male body was made from metal, like some flash drives), and all metal bits in the case.

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

No it is not normal. It's most likely a faulty ground wire.

I would start by checking the ground of the outlet you have the PC, or power strip, plugged into. You can get a simply ground check detector at a hardware store, or more simply plug the power strip and PC into another outlet and see if that changes anything.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I got no problem with my house wiring. Other electronics dont do this. But, this is the possibilities that i could think of : i got 3 outlet extension that connected each other, because my pc is far of from the original outlet. The screws connecting the mobo to the case are tight. My power supply is an ancient 600W from a brand i never heard of making psu.

Few years ago, im running my old pc with the same outlet, same peripherals, same extension, same source. But, never had the same issue that i had now ( i never tried to messed up with the case since i dont know how, im a little child back then)

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Start from the outlet and work out. It could be the extensions, or the PSU itself, but you just have to make sure the outlet is still properly grounded. I have one go bad no that long ago, found it when I got that tingly feeling touching the back of my PC.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube