add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New ssd in optical drive

Randon_Guy
  • 41 months ago

Hi,

Installed a ssd in to my optical drive but it won't let me install to it.

I've tried unplugging the native HD whilst doing the install.

It goes through the motion but just keeps looping back to selecting a drive for install.

It's a laptop vostro 3350. BIOS is A10, the lastest one for this laptop. BIOS is set for AHCI. I've juggled boot options so it trys the ssd first.

Any help appreciated

Comments

• 41 months ago
  • 2 points

Ok, let me try to make some sense here...

You have a laptop. You acquired and SSD and installed it to the space reserved for the optical drive. Now you try to install the operating system, but it wouldn't find your drive.

Does the BIOS see your drive?

You might need to add the driver for your SSD to the OS installer so it will find it or put it on a third media and let the installer find it there.

• 41 months ago
  • 2 points

You may have to install the primary drive into the designated primary drive slot.
If memory serves, the last DELL workstation laptop that I worked on, permitted booting off only the designated SATA port.
The secondary SATA port (second SSD/HDD) and third SATA port, typically used for optical drives, functioned fine but was not bootable.
Keep in mind that the BIOS on a DELL is proprietary, so non-standard selections is normal.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi,

The drive is being visualised ok, I could even start the installation process, it just ended up looping round.

On googling a bit more it looks like for my model Dell and the BIOS it runs Dell don't allow the OS to be installed on the mSata connection that the optical drive uses.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube