add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Xeon vs i5

Benzima
  • 76 months ago

Hey guys, I'm new to this so.... I was wondering what would be best for gaming, multitasking and some video editing: Xeon 1230 v3 or the i5 4670k? Check out my idea: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Benzima/saved/37Uo Cheers, Ben

Comments

• 76 months ago
  • 3 points

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-E3-1230-v3-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4670K

The Xeon is a great CPU but you can't overclock it you can only turbo boost and it doesn't come with integrated graphics but seeing as you're going to have a dedicated GPU that won't be an issue.

I personally would get the Xeon over the i5

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Cheers :)

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Do not use CPU Boss for anything. Ever. Unless you are looking up specifications. The only numbers that ever matter are benchmarks.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

So then which do you recommend out of the two? And what benchmarks do I reference?

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Nuh bruh, of all those chips you want this one:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80637e31230v2

Hyperthreading and a larger L3 cache for a 100Mhz drop in clock speed? Hells yeah.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Wouldn't the v3 one be better as its newer?

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

newer isnt always better

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Probably, but apparently not on paper? I can't find specs to differentiate them. Probably has to do with instruction set and/or architecture size.

I'd choose this one for the money.

[comment deleted]
  • 76 months ago
  • 1 point

For video editing I would get the Xeon over an i5. Just make sure that whatever motherboard you choose explicitly states compatibility for the Xeon e5-1230 V3, as not all boards can run Xeons even if they have a compatible socket.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, Will do :)

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

the mobo in my build will run a xeon just fine

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, can the xeon support 1866mhz ram?

• 76 months ago
  • 0 points

I actually own both, but as the ivy bridge type. I use the 3570k as my gaming machine and the E3-1230 v2 as my Civil 3d workstation. I have gamed on both and kind of regret buying the 3570k before i knew about the xeon. They perform pretty much the exact same except for the overclocking. But to match the performance of the xeon you will have to OC the 3570k/4670k to around 4.4 ghz to match multitasking performance. You don't need to overclock to increase FPS on todays CPU's so at the end of the day the xeon is the better CPU. But if you have no need for hyper threading get the i5. I love both of the CPU's and really don't notice much difference in performance between the both of them.

Right now my office is changing over our computers to all 6 cores xeons with hyper treading and 16 gigs of ram on each PC over the cloud. Still don't notice a difference from the i5/e3-1230 v2.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Cheers :)

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Is this mobo compatible with the Xeon? http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z87g43

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

And I mean the 1230-v3

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks

• 76 months ago
  • 0 points

The only reason to get a Xeon over an i5 is if you need ECC memory or hyperthreading, which you don't. You lose out on integrated graphics and the ability to overclock. The only advantage to the Xeon is that it gets an extra 2MB L3 Chache and hyperthreading, which won't affect you at all. Get the i5, because people here obviously don't know what they are talking about.

The only reason I'd consider the Xeon is if you are going to get very heavy into video editing. If you are going that route, then a far more economical option would be an AMD FX-8320/8350. If you don't plan to overclock at all, then you may consider the Xeon, but the AMD option is still better.

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

I dont need a intergrated GPU anyways and i would never overclock. I went down the route of going AMD but the benchmark scores are pretty bad compared to Intel products

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube