add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Bitfenix Whisper M - One of the best price-performance PSUs yet

colinreay
  • 39 months ago

Thought you guys might be interested in this, since I haven't really seen discussion about it. Toms just did a review on it.

Long story short, they are using a totally new CWT platform (same OEM that Corsair almost exclusively uses), and the performance is great. It is more efficient than the G2 and RMx in most circumstances, and is in between the G2 and RMx in terms of voltage reg. (honestly they are all great, voltage regulation isn't going to be the killer of your VRM's). In ripple, it falls a little behind the other 2 PSUs, but only a little, and is still outstanding. It is also one of the quietest PSU's out there, just a little behind the RMx, probably thanks to it's HDB fan (much quieter than the G2, which uses a ball bearing fan.)

At $79.99 MSRP for the 550w, the Whisper M is a solid alternative to the G2 which is also $79.99 right now, and makes it pretty hard to justify ponying up for the RMx (especially when even the superior G3 is cheaper), not to mention the GS, which now is a dead line IMO. I'd expect prices to only go down on these things, which would make it a very intriguing option.

Now we just have to wait for custom cable support, Bitfenix will certainly come out with their Alchemy 2.0 sleeved cables for the PSU, and as far as the smaller cable sleevers like MB sleeving, Sanctum, Ensourced, BeyondCustoms, Icemodz, Pexon, etc. we might see support there too, I guess it depends on if the pinout is shared with Corsair's Type-4 cables, and how popular this PSU is.

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Aha, oops. Teaches me to post without thinking, eh? Great PSU though, the biggest problem Bitfenix is going to face is building the same brand recognition that EVGA and Corsair have for their PSUs.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

indeed they have their work cut out.

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

not to mention the GS, which now is a dead line IMO.

Its been dead ever since the 550W Evga G2 started being around $80

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

True. I haven't been around for awhile, when did the G2 come down to $80? Was it around when the G3 launched?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

been $80 for almost 10 months.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow ok, that totally slid by me.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

About a year ago.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Also the GQ and CXM has taken it over for my recommendations for mid and low end respectively.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube