add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

EVGA GS VS EVGA G2

skrrrrrt
  • 39 months ago

which series of PSU is better? there both almost identical in price. edit: which one is newer? which one is smaller? etc etc (even small differences)

Comments

[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! 550w or 650w for this?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $229.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler $34.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $122.88 @ OutletPC
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $99.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $93.88 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.78 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING Video Card $384.99 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ SuperBiiz
Monitor Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor $269.99 @ B&H
Monitor Asus VG245H 24.0" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor $169.99 @ Best Buy
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1566.36
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $1546.36
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-01 18:07 EST-0500
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

550W is more than plenty for your build.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

You'd be fine with 450w honestly, but 550w is a solid choice. Why do you have 2 monitors with different refreshes?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I wanted a matching monitor with the 144hz one, but I only game on one monitor so I just wanted another monitor for other stuff.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

They don't match though.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

they looked pretty similar looking to me though

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

G2, GS is slightly smaller but has a worse OEM.

Eventhough the G2 is better... The GS doesn't have a worse OEM. It just depends on which model you are comparing. GS is made by seasonic and they make one of the best PSU.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Worse OEM PSU I mean

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd say the OEM platform and component choices are not up to the same standard as the G2.

Seasonic is one of the best choices for an OEM for a PSU, and they have a good track record. This one might be a dud compared to the G2 and G3, but doesn't mean Seasonic is a bad company at all.

EVGA just didn't make a great decision in choosing the right platform from Seasonic, and suffered from it. IIRC I think I read on JonnyGuru that EVGA went to Seasonic and FSP for OEM platforms after Superflower couldn't keep up with demand for producing their G2/P2/T2.

• 39 months ago
  • 0 points

Uh... What?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Worse OEM platform it was based off of that Seasonic made. I don't know why I'm being downvoted. The G2 has a better platform with cleaner power with less ripple or noise.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

You're being downvoted because next to nobody uses OEM when referring to the platform so it looked like you're saying SeaSonic is a worse OEM than SuperFlower.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I didn't mean the company was bad at all, I know better than that. If some people have let me explain, that'd be great. I meant the platform they based it off was worse than that of the G2. The G2 has a slightly worse fan, slightly less clean power, and little things here and there that make it not as good as a G2, but still one of the best.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I know you know that, as does Christian and Pegotico. However, if someone who doesn't know this is glancing through the thread, they may see that and misinterpret it. Then they could post the same thing, and it could end up perpetuating negative stereotypes/prejudices against some OEMs, while in reality, all OEMs should be given the same chance, and their individual platforms should be judged on their own - OEMs with terrible track records can make good platforms, and vice versa.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube