add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

GPU 6 Pin PSU 6 + 2 Pin

building5
  • 39 months ago

I have a Corsair RM650i and a MSI GTX 1080 which has a 6 pin & 8 pin connector on it. I originally bought a 6 + 8 pin cable from cablemod but have since decided I don't really like the look of the 6 pin bit coming out the 8 pin part and want to get a separate cable for each so I can have all the individual cables in a row coming up from the bottom of the case to the 1080.

What is worrying me is that the PSU has 6 + 2 PCIe sockets and while that will work fine for the 8 pin PCIe connector, I'm not sure if it will work with the 6 pin one. Does anyone know if the 6 pin will work? I don't think it would fit in the socket if it has a 6 pin connector on the PSU end as the clip in the middle would get in the way as it is set up with the gap in the middle for a 8 pin connector.

There are 6 pin slots on the PSU but they say it is for Peripheral & SATA so I'm not sure if I can just plug it in there or not without causing issues.

As you have probably garnered, I'm not that clued up on PSUs so any help appreciated.

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

PCIe from the PSU will always come from the 8 Pin PCie sockets, even if it terminates in a 6 pin on the side that goes into the GPU.

But yes the cable is designed as 6+2 so you can branch off the extra 2 pins to make it just a 6 pin cable. All you will need to do is plug your 6 pin PCIe extension cable onto the end of the 6 pin and split off the two spare pins, simple.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube