add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Make SSD or Optical Drive Boot first?

Ryland04
  • 41 months ago

Hi, I started my first build about 3 days ago and have run into so many problems I'm almost giving up, but today I was finally able to get to the bios menu. Also when the sata cables were plugged into certain sata ports the pc wouldn't turn on at all, is that normal? Anyway I was finally able to get the Ssd to come up on the bios but I need to install windows 10 from disc so I was wondering, do I need to make optical drive number 1? And if so what port should the ssd go in if not 0 because last time I put it in the wrong port the computer wouldn't even turn on.

Comments

• 41 months ago
  • 2 points

...Optical Drive Boot first? ...I need to install windows 10 from disc ...

Yes.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

do I need to make optical drive number 1? And if so what port should the ssd go in if not 0 because last time I put it in the wrong port the computer wouldn't even turn on.

SSD (that ur main OS or only OS is on) will be drive 0, of course. (very first drive.) Got a hard drive? if so, then maybe it should be drive 1, then the Optical drive, 2. if not, then you can make the optical drive 1 for now until/ or unless u get an HDD.

Also when the sata cables were plugged into certain sata ports the pc wouldn't turn on at all, is that normal?

i think this could be a mobo issue with the mobo itself, not 100% sure maybe someone else knows, but would be my guess for now. (or possibly one of the sata cables but if new then shouldn't be.)

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I did it you're way and it worked perfectly.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube