add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I need some additional information about the CM Storm Styrkers's built in fan controller.

MichaeL925280

72 months ago

Hello everyone on PCPartPicker. I need to know more information about the CM Storm Styrker's built in fan controller because with a build project i want to eventually do in the future. I plan on having 5 fans in total. One will be for the CPU cooler and i already know that will connect to the Asus Z87 Maximus VI Hero ATX MB. The other 4 fans are x1 200mm top BitFenix Spectre Pro LED (BFF-LPRO-20025R-RP), x1 140mm rear exhaust BitFenix Spectre Pro LED (BFF-LPRO-14025W-RP) & x2 120mm BitFenix Spectre Pro LED (BFF-LPRO-12025R-RP). I am trying to go for a positive air pressure air cooling by having bit more intake than exhaust so this really matters and i already know this case was probably not designed with positive air pressure in mind but i hope it works out for me. What i so far plan to do is connect the fans to the Maximus VI Hero but now i am not sure how to set it up.

Comments

• 72 months ago
  • 3 points

Hi, I do have the same case and I can say it's fantastic. The fans you listed will work, but I disagree with your point about the case not being designed with positive pressure in mind. Every premium case has more intake than exhaust. In the case of the Stryker, a pure airflow setup will have you running 5 120mm intake fans against 3 140mm exhaust fans.

As for fan control, you don't really even have to use the built-in fan controller on the Stryker since you have an ASUS motherboard with Fan Xpert 2. You can just plug your fans onto the motherboard headers, open up Fan Xpert 2, set up fan speed vs. temperature curves, and then the board does all of the speed regulation work for you. Complete automation. Set and forget.

The only thing to think about is whether or not you will need fan splitter and extension cables depending on how many fans you want and where they will be located in relation to your motherboard's fan headers.

As for fan configurations, that's one thing I spent a lot of time thinking over for my build. The Stryker has the following fan support:

• The case will fit at most 9 fans without any case modding and including a 240mm radiator. If you mod or remove the top handle brace it will fit 10 fans.
  • Front: 3x120mm*
  • Rear: 1x120mm or 1x140mm
  • Bottom: 2x120mm**
  • Top (Case Fans Only): 2x120mm or 2x140mm or 1x200mm

OR

• Top (Radiator Fans): 2x120mm or 2x140mm or 3x120mm or 3x140mm (third fans mounted above the roof and under the top shroud)

OR

• Top (Radiator Fans w/Handle Mod): [Same as directly above] or 4x120mm or 4x140mm (third and fourth fans mounted above the roof and under the top shroud)

*Note that installing a third front 120mm fan requires that you either "ghetto-rig" it to the frame or buy an additional "Trooper HDD cage" from the Cooler Master online store. The cage will slide right into the upper portion of the front intake meant for 5.25" devices.

**Use of the bottom fan mount near the PSU requires removal of the 2.5" drive rack.

• 72 months ago
  • 1 point

OK i was starting to probably go with just connecting them to the motherboard for better results plus Asus's AI Suite III with Fan Xpert 2 is a major cool feature. Thanks LeMonarque for the better suggestion.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey LeMonarque i just want to know how do you do the bullets? I check the formatting help but don't understand it. It would help to know when i do my build i can explain my reason for selecting that part. Also i know you can't do a H100i push pull config without modding the top but i am really interested in doing that. D0 you know any videos, pictures, etc to explain how to do it?

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

You put an asterisk before your line " * " follow by a space.

• asterisk

As for the handle modding, there should be a guide on the overclock.net Stryker Owner's Club. Link on the first page of the thread somewhere.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

OK thanks for telling me.

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem :) Good luck with the build!

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube