• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Qrosik 3 months ago

Can anyone make a suggestion for a case? Here's the build ATM: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Qrosik/saved/NrzZLk It's already a little above what I wanted to spend, so I really don't want to drop $200 on the case. I'm also not really sure if I need a full or mid tower. I think I would prefer a mid tower, just for the sake of surface area, but if there's a budget friendly full tower that still has a window I'd happily accept your suggestion. Trying to ideally spend less than $140 on the case.

-edit- My biggest worry with a mid tower is that it will be too small to hold my H100i V2, as I've already purchased that part since I found a deal for $70.

-edit 2- Spelling

Comments Sorted by:

Evil_Paroxysm 3 Builds 1 point 3 months ago

First off $140 is a good budget for a case, thats significantly more than a lot of people are willing/able to spend so you will have a lot of quality options. A mid tower will fit everything you need, just make sure the case you decide on supports mounting whatever sized radiator you need. Most will give you a location, length and thickness dimension. I.E. Top:240mm x 40mm thick or Bottom: 360mm x 80mm thick

Check out the Corsair Crystal 460x RGB. I think you would like that, its a classy sleek modern case.

Here is a slightly modified version of your build. I put the new i5-7600k in there since you had a Z270 board selected already. Changed your $165 500gb SSD to a $125 525gb SSD (You can spend $170 on this MX300 model and get 750gb if you want), I added the Crystal 460x RGB case (The 570x is and option too) and then I saved you $25 on the PSU by putting a SeaSonic semi modular 650w in.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor $242.89 @ B&H
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $96.99 @ Jet
Motherboard Asus STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $189.99 @ NCIX US
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $89.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $124.99 @ Jet
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.99 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card $379.99 @ B&H
Case Corsair Crystal 460X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case $139.99 @ B&H
Power Supply SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $75.39 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1400.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-11 13:58 EST-0500
Qrosik submitter 1 point 3 months ago

Thank you for all the info! I really like that case, but if I could spend maybe $20 or so less and still get a nice window and maybe some RGBs that would be truly ideal. The CPU and storage changes are great, thank you very much for that. For the PSU, I actually already got that EVGA Supernova 750w G3 because it also was on sale. Sorry, I should have mentioned that in the original post.

The case would come down to personal preference, I am a big fan of the 460x' appearance so I recommended it. You could set a parameter for $80-120 cases on your parts list and just scroll till you find one you like.

That is a really nice case. I love the RGBs. I might end up going with that, but I'm going to see if I can save a bit more on the case since I'm a bit tight on funds ATM. xD Thank you again for all of your help!

Decided to go with the one suggested below for the price and nice big tempered glass window upgrade. https://m.newegg.com/Product?ItemNumber=11-854-042&iscoz=true Could you suggest some fans? It only comes with the one exhaust and I don't like the white. I want my h100i v2 mounted on the front, so I was thinking I'd do dual 140mm fans on top and one on the back.

Corsair SP fans aren't bad. How much are you wanting to spend per fan? Since your CPU will be liquid cooled you shouldn't need anything crazy.

Preferably like $10 per fan. I'll spend a bit more for RGBs if RGBs aren't an option at that price range.

vagabond139 5 Builds 1 point 3 months ago

-edit- My biggest worry with a mid tower is that it will be too small to hold my H100i V2, as I've already purchased that part since I found a deal for $70.

Just about all mid tower cases recently made within the past few years will have no problem holding it.

You don't need a full tower case unless you need a bunch of HDD storage or 5.25 bays. Most mid tower cases now often tons of space. Most you can even do a decent custom loop in. Really not that much need for full tower cases anymore.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vVwqqs/phanteks-case-phes515pabk

Thank you, that makes me feel much more assured in a mid tower! I really like the window on that case. Also, love the USBs being on the side of the front panel, since the PC will be sitting diagonally on my desk.

I'm going to go with that case you suggested. Could you suggest some fans? I'm thinking I want my h100i v2 mounted on the front, then have two 140mm fans on top and one 140mm on the back.

vagabond139 5 Builds 1 point 3 months ago

The case already has fans, you don't need anymore.