add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Questions about the 598s

QuickFPS
  • 37 months ago

are these good for gaming? (any type of genre, but mostly fps games) do I still need to buy ang dac/soundcard for this? if yes then what dac/soundcard would you recommend (specifically for gaming or for all-purpose uses) is the sound stage good enough? I would be really thankful for your answers.

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Sup, I have had em for a while and they have been pretty great for the price. Lightweight and comfortable. Sound stage is very good for the price, everything is well defined and the highs never hurt my ears. Only thing they really lack is bass, while defined, is not powerful in any way. They are open back so keep that in mind and the sound leaks quite a bit. For an amp/dac (never go soundcard, most people here will say the same) I would go with an entry level like the E10K from Fiio or the Fulla 2 from Schiit. The E10k (which I have and run them through so keep that in mind) has a bass boost switch that I never turn off to warm up the sound a little, but it is still far from beefy. Do some research and see what you'd want in an amp and or dac though, lots of stuff out there. While you do not need anything really special to drive them (my iphone 6s does it fine too) it is a nice start into better audio. Hope that helps, didn't wanna get too in depth!

• 37 months ago
  • 2 points

Schiit is awesome, and their driver names are hilarious. "Im Fulla Schiit"

I have to partially disagree with you on the soundcard portion though, some motherboards have subpar audio to begin with and you can improve audio quality that way. With headphones like these that aren't hard to move you don't really need a dac/amp. It wouldn't hurt but its not required. I need to upgrade to a pair of good high impedance cans for music and get a new amp actually speaking of that. I don't use an amp with my sennheisers while gaming though fwiw.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Not to mention made in the good ole' U.S. of A!

I wouldn't stop anyone if they wanted one, but if you have a budget just going for an external solution is normally better for all around. It is very true older mobos are pretty bad but the newer stuff that has been coming out is actually pretty solid. When I put together my new rig ima get some new kit too, just hard to part with my money.... Looking at the Schiit Jotunheim or maybe the OG Schiit stack with the magni and modi 2's..

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I donr know what my next route will be. I am currently ampless, and dont have good headphones that arent gaming dedicated. I've been focusing on record players/studio monitors lately.

I got rhe Soundblaster Zxr for my Asus Z97 Hero Vii, mostly for the features, they was a slight audio improvement though I'd say. I wont need a card at all for my newest,mobo, the x99 Titanium. Its loaded with unreal feature. Able to ditch my Asus pcie network adaptor and my soundcard.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I might be using the Z270-A would the onboard audio be fine for the 598s?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

It should be

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

do you game on it too? how is it?

edit I mostly do gaming and music too

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes I do, very good directional audio and vocals are super clear so it is really good for spacial awareness in fps.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

ty!

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I haven't owned a pair but i really want one, i have talked to some people and they say that there are just as good headsets for lower price point but a tiny tiny bit lower sound quality. I would buy a sound card for it if you want the best sound quality possible.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

tnx! but how is the Sound blaster E5 over the E10K? and what's also the difference between the E5 and G5?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

lol sure

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

do you also use an amp/dac or a sound card with your PC363D?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

The PC363D is the same headset as the PC360 except it comes with a USB 7.1 sound card. The PC360 got replaced by the Game Ones which has better bass. If you don't need the soundcard get the Game Ones, if you do you'll pay ~$60 more for the PC363D

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I see ty

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube