add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

General PSU questions

JFB
  • 38 months ago

What is the significance of it being modular? What is different between semi and fully modular PSU’s. If I get an ATX full tower case, ATX motherboard, and ATX PSU, is there any reason I should be surprised if a non-modular PSU doesn’t fit or function properly for my PC?

Do higher efficiency ratings (80+ bronze, gold, platinum, titanium) provide better performance or longer life of components or is the only benefit that I will have slightly lower power bills?

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The efficiency rating only tells you how much power is actually put into your PC per unit of power that is taken out of the wall, it has no impact on performance. The Raidmax vampire series is Gold, but is old and unreliable. A modular power supply is one where cables can be taken out and moved. A power supply with no modularity means that all the cables cannot be removed, even the ones you probably aren't going to use like a spare 4-pin. People don't like this because it means they have loose cables in their case. Semi modular means that at least a couple of these cables can be taken out and fully modular means that all of them can be taken out.

• JFB
  • submitter
  • 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Perfect. Thanks.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

You're talking about the 1000W units though, which (afaik) are better than their lower wattage ones.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The lower wattage units have nothing out on them and its safe to say that there isn't going to enough variance to make the lower wattage units crappy since I haven't seen that in any series of PSU's.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Really? I heard the lower wattage GQ's had some difference in quality over the higher wattage ones. Either way, I'm sure the Vampire is alright but it doesn't really compare to other gold units like the G2 and RMX.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

They do but the variance isn't huge enough to make the lower wattage units crap. I haven't seen any series that have decent higher wattage units like shown above but then have lower wattage units that are crap i.e similar to the Evga N1 or worse.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Note that ATX for a PSU isn't the same meaning as when it is applied to a case or a motherboard.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube