add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Installing Different Windows 7 OS

DividTorte
  • 40 months ago

Hi All,

Here’s some background:

I just recently finished building my first computer, which was a great experience because of some help I got from an IT friend of mine. He was nice enough to install a copy of Windows 7 Enterprise on my computer so that I had an OS. I didn’t realize at the time that Enterprise isn’t made for single-user use, so when I tried purchase it after my 30-day “trial” ran out I was unable to do so. I recently purchased Windows 7 Professional from NewEgg and was way too aggressive in scratching off the little scratch-off thing and ruined the key code that was underneath. I am unable to decipher a few of the characters for the key and am freaking out a little bit.

The questions:

Before I (attempt to) return this, I want to make sure that the key is an essential component to installing the OS. I currently do not have an optical drive installed (or an external one), which is why I was wondering if inputting the key was the most important part. Question 1: If I used the provided CD, would I need the key when installing Windows 7 Professional? Question 2: If I were to correctly decipher the characters in the key that were illegible, would I be able to activate the key even though the two OS’s are different? Question 3: Is there any other way to find the key besides that one spot where it is printed on the package?

Thanks for your help and please let me know if you need any other information.

-David

Comments

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! Very helpful. I will try this when I get home from work!!

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube