add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
smrdndacc
  • 38 months ago

Sorry to add yet another one of these threads but i would appreciate some help choosing the correct wattage for the PSU.

Taking into account that in the future i plan on OCing the CPU and possibly get a Vega GPU (to replace the RX 480), what would be the correct PSU wattage for this build? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qf2gqk

Ideally i would like to both be comfortable with the wattage left (i.e. not be too close to max) but if possible also be within range for close to optimal efficiency when under load.

Note: the calculator doesnt take into account the wattage necessary for the case led's located in the "custom" section.

Thank you for the help!

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

650W would be way more than enough. The "TDP" of the parts is usually higher than the actual amount they actually take. You'd be fine with 450 easily as well.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

550W or 650W would be plenty. Keep in mind PCPP isn't accurate when it comes to powerdraw, you can often get away with a lot less.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the info. So 650W would still be plenty even with CPU OCing and assuming the Vega card will be a bit more power hungry than the RX 480 (to be safe)?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Every consumer single-gpu setup will run on a quality 550W PSU, with plenty of headroom left for OC.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, thanks.

So, to finalize, it seems that using a 650w EVGA G3 unit would be the best bet for this build with CPU OCing and with plenty of headroom left for a future VEGA card that could be relatively more power hungry than the RX 480, correct? 750w would definitely be overkill and result in lowered efficiency on a daily use basis too (given that actual load would be in the lower areas of what the PSU can achieve), is that so?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube