add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Pairing motherboard with case inputs (USB)

mcmullgr
  • 78 months ago

Newbie designing a HTPC would appreciate help understanding how to match the front inputs of a case to a motherboard. I am considering this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163205&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction--na--na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

and these boards... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131984&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction--na--na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131975&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction--na--na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

How do I know if the inputs on the case will "match up" with these boards or others? It looks like there are 2 USB inputs on the case, but many more on the boards. Will I lose the rest of the USB connections on the boards since they are seemingly covered up by the case? Please help with suggesting a good HTPC case (black) that would allow me to make use of more than 2 USBs. Thank you in advance!

Comments

• 78 months ago
  • 2 points

Download and read the mobo and case manual.

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

are you talking about the front panel usb ports or the rear i/o?

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

Referring to the front panel USB ports. Thanks.

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

Motherboards have separate front panel connections. The rear ports are in the open part on the back of the case.

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

I understand there are front and rear panel USB connections, but how do I know if the case is compatible with the front panel connections? In my example above, it appears the case will limit the number of available USB ports due to the design. How do I determine which case maximizes use of the front panel connections?

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

They are all compatible, a case with front USB 3.0 will plug into any motherboard with a 3.0 header, same goes for all connections. Look at the pics on newegg and you'll see the usb3.0 header right beside the 24pin on both boards.

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

a motherboard normally will have quite of few headers for usb hubs, which are also used for front panel connectors. They are all standard, so as long as your motherboard has headers, you're fine

• 78 months ago
  • 1 point

You can all so search youtube for reviews/unboxing vids that will show you the mobo's featurs and extras the best are from newegg and other websites

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube