add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PSU for an A10-8600k HTPC

Daiyus
  • 38 months ago

I'm getting myself in a spin. I tried to recase my HTPC in-progress last night and the OEM PSU that I had lying around didn't have long enough cables so I set the system to one side and had a ponder of my options; I can either buy some extenders or buy a half-decent PSU for peace of mind and hopefully have it last into the next few revisions of the system.

So I'm tempted to get a new budget PSU but I don't know what to go for. I don't want to spend over £50 but every PSU I see has a serious mixture of positive and negative reviews.

Can anybody recommend a well regarded budget PSU? I don't mind it's modularity (although semi or fully modular would be nice) and as it's a low end PC the wattage doesn't have to be crazy; ~400W would be more than enough.

Many thanks.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

This was the first one I was considering but many other sites seem to have lots of people hating on the CX series as using overly cheap components and being pretty terrible under the hood, despite positive user reviews.

Like I said I keep seeing mixed reviews on every budget PSU with many having positive user reviews but anyone who actually checks the components seeing a different, sub-par story.

That said the 450W seems to be of the newer line which doesn't seem to have as many issues. Thanks for the recommendation.

• 38 months ago
  • 3 points

You might as well ignore any PSU advice from people that say that stuff since that immediately lets you know they don't have a damn clue what they are talking about when it comes to PSU's and are only repeating a very busted and old myth. That is for the older series and they didn't use crap components or have terrible build quality, it was simply mediocre along with their performance. For the new CXM series see a review of them below, its a good unit.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-cx650m-psu,4770.html

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks vagabond. I've seen you around here before and you seem to really know your stuff. I'll grab the Corsair with confidence now.

• 38 months ago
  • 2 points

The new CX lineup is actually really good. They upgraded the caps, got rid of the ancient topology and made it more heat-resistant. It is currently concidered the best PSU for lower-budget builds.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube