add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Please help with my PSU selection --- first build for Law Office ?!

stealthiii
  • 38 months ago

I am looking to replace my Dell optiplex POS from 2011 that is currently in my office. The proposed build includes the following:

Law Office Build

CPU Intel Core i3-7100 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Storage Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Seagate Constellation.2 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Card (just because I have this laying around) Case DIYPC Solo-T1-BK ATX Mid Tower Case

The PCpartpicker build tool is showing an estimated 356 watt draw.

Please recommend a PSU that will not break the bank, but is also going to be reliable (my research thus far has indicated Corsair or EVGA, but i'm open to recommendations)

Thank you all in advance.

Comments

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

The wattage listed by PCPP is a "worst case" figure, assuming all of the components will run at maximum performance at the same time. That rarely, if ever, occurs in regular home/office usage. However it's never advised to skimp on power supplies when it comes to wattage or quality.

I recommend a Corsair CX450M.

I created an alternate version of the build, if you're interested.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor $70.98 @ Newegg
Motherboard ASRock H270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $105.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Team Dark 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $54.99 @ Newegg
Storage Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $43.74 @ B&H
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $69.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Card -
Case Fractal Design Core 500 Mini ITX Desktop Case $59.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $54.99 @ Jet
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $460.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-05 21:10 EST-0500
  • The G4560 is significantly less expensive than the i3 7100, and is still more than powerful enough to handle office tasks.

• The motherboard comes with built-in wireless networking, and uses the smaller ITX form factor to save space.

• The smaller motherboard allows you to use a smaller case. The Fractal Design Core 500 is more expensive than that DIYPC case, but is much, much higher quality and is far more compact. It also looks much more fitting for a law office, imo.

• You can get a 2TB hard drive for around the same price as that 1TB one.

P.S. You'll need an operating system to use the computer.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the response and recommendations.

I am not too worried about the external form factor as my office is set up in such a way to hide the tower completely from any clients / associates who may enter. To that end, I was really looking for something that included fans.

I already own the HDD, the SSD, and the Video Card.

My use typically involves Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat DC (with 10-15 tabs open), Chrome (10-15 tabs), and SharpDesk apps. I may attempt to load either GTA 5 and/or BF 1 (but on low or medium settings) on the rig for those days when I just need to unwind.

My partner just had one of his associates build him a rig that uses the AMD 3+ CPU (FX 6300 i believe?) + an SSD to see a HUGE performance boost over our current optiplex machines.

I am NOT a fan of anything AMD, and I'd prefer an Intel rig. Do you believe the G4560 processor will be able to deliver performance that is better than the FX 6300 in the tasks described above?

EDIT: Also, I do already have a wifi card that a friend donated, so the board having built in wifi really isn't an issue. Do you still see a benefit to the ASRock mobo?

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

My use typically involves Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat DC (with 10-15 tabs open), Chrome (10-15 tabs), and SharpDesk apps.

You'll want to bump up the RAM to 16GB on account of all of the tabs.

I may attempt to load either GTA 5 and/or BF 1 (but on low or medium settings) on the rig for those days when I just need to unwind.

What kind of settings do you plan on playing those at, and what kind of framerates do you expect? A G4560 and 560 Ti will work if you're on a 1080p 60Hz display and will accept low-medium graphical settings.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Good to know. Thank you very much.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube