add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

AMD Ryzen won't support Windows 7

gorkti200
  • 40 months ago

If anyone still hanging on needed any more reason to upgrade to 10, here it is.

It sounds like it should technically function with Windows 7, but no guarantees and no official support.

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

AMD: Sorry, there will be no official Ryzen drivers for Windows 7

this is for windows 7, 8, and 8.1 so far.

It sounds like it should technically function with Windows 7, but no guarantees and no official support.

Yes. the OS's i mentioned can be used, however, meaning no "official support" would mean if you have an issue, fix it yourself and/or research for a solution, etc. also some crashed unknown could occur. like in this video, for ryzen and kaby lake

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

It probably will as lots of enterprise and professional software is still on win7

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not at all saddened by this, but I understand why it's significant. Windows 7 retains a significant user share, and this move will force many people along to Windows 10. For individual desktop users, this might not be a huge deal, but it could cost a fair amount for enterprises and other large organizations.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, because nobody got burned by Vista or 8...

(3.1, 95, NT, XP, 7, 10: I keep working machines with each of those, the only worthwhile MS OSs for corporations, many people forget all the bad ones in-between those, it's like Star Trek movies)

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

All those machines must take up a lot of space! That is neat though. You don't consider Windows 98 to have been one of their good ones?

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

The only one that really takes up fair bit of space is the Win95 one because it's an old-timey full tower that weighs a "ton". I didn't even mention the older DOS or CP/M machines... :) My newest build is probably bigger than most of these actually, and it's about a mid-tower volume-wise.

Win98 was decent too, just not hugely popular, I vaguely recall that Win95 got a serious upgrade (OSR2) that many people didn't know about (or something like that, maybe it was distributed via MS's Developer Network to corporations) and it was considered excellent and extended the lifetime of that OS.

That said, though I really like 7 and still use it daily, I love 10. Every little thing I dislike about 7 is not only "fixed" in 10, but way better/nicer to use. For doing techy stuff though, 7 may still be preferred, that's what I use it for anyway. 10 is as "friendly" as XP too, both very nice for home use, whereas 7 is a bit overly complex for home use with its security/sharing complications.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

My first PC that was personally mine(not my dads) was running Windows 98. I loved it at the time.

I also like 7 and love 10. I am also one of those lucky few who built a Vista machine and never got burned by it; I had a great time with it.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

this laptop is running windows 7.

good thing i have a macbook air.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

That article is just fear mongering more than anything. Just because there's no OFFICIAL support doesn't change the science involved. It will work. Just as you can run xp on a 6850k. There's no issue, just fear mongering in absence of a real story... When the thing finally releases they will have real stories to write instead

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Connecting that to the Internet is the equivalent of having an unprotected person walking around in a field of horrible diseases. Upgrade Windows or switch to Linux. :P

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

That kinda sounds like sex imo :/

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Your computer needs to be ready for the Internet. :P

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

What specs has the XP PC got here? Depending on how slow it is, I might recommend Linux instead of Windows 7.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube