add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Kill Cortana DEAD (Windows 10 *duh*)

TekkieTrekkie
  • 40 months ago

Okay, I absolutely HATE Microsoft's Cortana personal assistant. As a matter of fact, Microsoft's poor implementation of Cortana and their refusal to let us disable her has effectively sullied her good name, in my opinion. All I want is a simple system search bar at on my task bar to easily access files and/or programs. When I heard buzz on the Interwebs that Cortana was not, in fact, immortal; I was ecstatic. All I had to do was launch the Registry Editor (as admin), navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search\Preferences, create a new REG_DWORD called "AllowCortana", set value to zero, reboot, and Boom bye bye Cortana. WRONG! I have no idea why this hasn't worked. Did Microsoft close this loophole? What the heck? Please Help!

Hugs and Kisses sarcasm, Angry Cortana Dude

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

She's already dead, she got killed in halo 4 I think haha

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, somebody's making a big fuss over this. If you really want full control over your computer, why even bother with Windows anymore? Microsoft controls the OS, not you. It's their way or the highway.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can still disable Cortana. Not entirely sure how, though.

• 40 months ago
  • 0 points

Uh, isn't this literally what OP is doing?

EDIT: Apparently, some stuff differs.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I for real thought that you were gonna try to convert him to the linux side.

Btw I'm playing with Zorin os and it is appealing to the eyes like windows 10 but of course has the functionality of linux.(and the few drawbacks)

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I normally don't seek to convert people unless I think it's truly necessary for their use case, or they're comfortable switching operating systems. If Windows isn't broke for them, why fix it?

Haven't used Zorin before. It honestly doesn't seem like my thing, but I figure I should try it at some point so I know whether to recommend it.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm starting a job at a computer shop that strongly recommends iding zorin on older slower computers(even tho its not a crazy amount lighter than windows) for a performance boost. It's ubuntu-based. But tell me(i think youd know) is ubuntu debian based?

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Ubuntu is based on Debian, but highly modified. They're not fully compatible, and installing a package from one may not work on the other.

In general, Ubuntu-based distributions are heavier and slower than other Linux. For older machines, I recommend something lighter. Lubuntu is fine for a 10 year old Core 2 Duo computer. Go even older than that, and I suggest something like antiX.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Freebsd is a good linux distro for old machines. It works and looks decent as well. Have you tried that?

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Long-winded post incoming.

Microsoft owns Windows and makes all final design choices that go into the OS. So ultimately, you're putting all your trust in them to make decisions that you agree with. If they suddenly decide to disable or add a feature one day, that's pretty much it. There's no going back unless Microsoft changes its mind/enough people complain about it. The only reason we got the Start menu back in Windows 10 is because so many people complained about Windows 8 that Microsoft was forced to appease them. There were a few third-party Start menus for Windows 8, but none of them were granted any official recognition, and could've in theory been disabled by Microsoft at any time.

On a system like Linux (and other GNU platforms, like TrueOS and many of the illumos distributions), nearly everything is highly modular and open. You can readily swap components like desktop interface elements, network management, and even the whole kernel. And because it's all open-source, if something gets removed or killed, it's entirely possible to resume development of it. This is doable to a lesser extent on Windows, because Microsoft doesn't go out of its way to close every modification you can make - that would be bad for business. However, you won't get it to nearly the same depth.

For example, a while back, Ubuntu had this Amazon search function built into the Unity interface. There was a bit of an uproar over accusations of privacy intrusion, which might sound familiar to Windows 10 users, but it was easy to remove this feature since Linux is so modular. On Windows, Microsoft could at any point make user tracking impossible to disable. Ubuntu couldn't do the same with that Amazon search, because they don't have the same tight control over Linux. Another example: When GNOME 2 got discontinued, MATE stood up to replace it, and now it's seen adoption by all major Linux distributions.

[comment deleted]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

On Windows, it's impossible or nearly impossible to modify certain aspects of the system. As far as customization goes, this depends on what exactly it is you want to customize. A surprising amount of stuff on Windows can still be modified.

[comment deleted]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

microsoft took away the ability to disable her in a recent update... there was a few tech news articles about it over the last few weeks

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're running Win 10 Pro, you might be able to turn her off using Group Policy.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I know that feel, bro.

I've got a script that'll more or less disable cortana without breaking the OS. Cortana (searchui.exe) will still run but can't do anything. I'll post it here soon. Meanwhile, use Classic Shell; it has a better search feature.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

You can kill her easily with anti-beacon.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube