• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

dbrowerpower 62 months ago

For all the different parts, there should be a little section for people who have the part to review it. I don't know, just an idea.

Comments Sorted by:

JoeyThePCNoob 2 Builds 4 points 62 months ago

This is something I have wanted for a while. It would be cool if they actually implemented it.

dbrowerpower submitter 4 points 62 months ago

Take note Philip!!!

gogo809 3 Builds 3 points 57 months ago

I think if you are going to implement a review section, it needs to bring something a little different to the table.

Toward that end, this was my thought: # of stars is a great metric to quickly determine if a part will pass your personal muster or not. I think that is fine. Furthermore, you guys are geeks, and you know what information is important to each component, and lets face it, there aren't that many. So I propose a custom sub-star listing for each component where you determine what you think will be important information, and allow users to rank or star it accordingly.

Lets take a hypothetical delta fan for instance. It may move a metric-ton of air, and that may be the end users primary goal, but many people know those 2 ball fans that spin like crazy are loud as snot. So there are now different definitions of "good". Things I can think of off the top of my head that would apply to any fan: Aesthetics, Noise, Air Volume, pressure. Example:

• Name: Delta Fan XZY123
  • Looks (aestetics): X X X
  • Silence (1 * = loud, 5 * = silent): X
  • Air Volume: X X X X X
  • Static Pressure: X X X X X

Looking at the above you can easily see that the fan is thought to be loud but effective. If you were looking for a quiet fan, you wouldn't get this one, but if noise didn't matter, why not?!?!?

I think there are features or qualities for every component on the site that can be quantified and allowed to be "rated" by users. The ability to search and sort by those sub-ratings would just be a bonus :).

TheWalkingGeek 2 Builds 2 points 57 months ago

My only question is... why not just go to Newegg for the reviews? There are so many more people reviewing there than those that would review here.

It is such a shame that it's not legal to add Newegg's reviews to this site. :(

Norm101 3 Builds 2 points 57 months ago

I've seen reviews on NewEgg that were downright stupid. Like people trying to remove a heatsink from a RAM stick with a HAMMER! Not to mention those paid shills who say, "_ stinks, I should have gone with _" when it is obvious they don't have a clue.

I trust the builders around here far more. :)

TheWalkingGeek 2 Builds 1 point 57 months ago

Same here, but there is "was this helpful" information. People usually down vote the obviously stupid review. I trust the people on here too a lot more, but the truth is, the community on here is not big enough (yet) to give accurate reviews with decently large numbers of people. I'm sorry, but I personally will not buy an item off of a single review.

I love the ratings system though on this site, but once again, if someone got a DOA ram stick and rates it one star on here and they are the only review, no one will buy the thing, even if it happens to be a good product, unless they go on another site like Newegg.

Once again, I just wish that this site could get a partnership with a site such as Newegg specifically for ratings/review integration. And also that the least helpful could be weighted less than the most helpful reviews. (Similar to how, for instance, honors classes in high school add more to your GPA than a grade level class)

gogo809 3 Builds 2 points 57 months ago

Newegg won't let that happen. Their review system of "geeks" is one of the things that makes them a desirable site to shop. They would lose revenue if they allowed it to be skinned by another site.

That being said, you have to start somewhere. I think a site like this makes more sense as the central repository of parts knowledge than the end seller. So this may be a method of growing the community!

rishabhchugh13 1 Build 2 points 57 months ago

I would love for this to be put into this site as it would really help first time builders (like myself). People who have used the product could list the good and bad points and maybe even recommend another part depending on your budget.

NCG 1 point 57 months ago

+1

Novapilot28 1 point 57 months ago

Bump