add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Thermaltake P5 Case or Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB Gold 850W Owners - Cable Length Assistance

tvos
  • 37 months ago

Hello Friends,

I am putting together my parts and going through this carefully. Not really comfortable with the measuring and calculations that I need for PSU/MOBO/Case

I will be purchasing my cables at: https://store.cablemod.com/configurator/

Here is the Case, Mobo, and PSU Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-Designare EX ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard

Case: Thermaltake Core P5 ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB Gold 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

This is what I measured for the stock cables that came with the PSU.

Main Power Connector 24 Pin QTY Need 1 (Stock Length 2 feet 5 inches)

ATX 12 VOLT 4+4 Pin QTY Need 2 (Stock Length 2 feet)

SATA 5 Pin QTY Need 2 (Stock Length 3 feet 5 inches)

SATA Power QTY Need 2 (Stock Length Unknown. No power cable)

PCI-E 6+2 Pin QTY Need 2 (Stock Length 2 feet 5 inches)

When I use the configurator at: cablemod.com it is in MM. No sweat however if I take my measurements and convert them to MM they are ridiculously long.

So to sum it up, I need to know what are safe millimeters to use for my case, psu, and mobo.

Please advise and Thank You,

tvos

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 3 points

Buy everything else without the cablemod cables. Connect the PSU cables and see if it is too short or too long. Compare it with the PSU manual to figure out how much longer/shorter they have to be.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Hello OnfireYH,

Appreciate the info - however the manual blows and I was hoping others would chime in with their builds that I can key off of.

Thank You,

tvos

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Even if the manual blows, at least the cables lengths should be specified. Or you can just measure the lengths of the cables by yourself.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

You must have missed my measurements that I posted earlier in the thread. Yes, I have measured.

Right now, I just seated the 24pin atx cable and it does fit snug. I measured it at 2' so will be going with 3' for the cable CableMod Configuration.

However, when I go to convert 2' (2 feet) to mm it's like 609mm which is way off from their online configuration. 3' is 91.5mm with the measuring ruler. So I don't know where I am going wrong with the math. or why the configuration is not calculating correctly..

Any ideas?

btw: thank you for the suggestion... makes complete sense.. but also would be helpful for others who own the PSU / MOBO / Case to help out.

tvos

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

if you want the honest through i'd go for a XTR Series 850W PSU http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/xtr-series-gold-full-modular/xtr-series-850w-psu-p1-850b-befx

i own a ztr 750watt and the stock cables are some of the best i've seen reasonably long and full black i was going to get custom cables till i saw the stock cables :D

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Appreciate it... I am going for the RGB DSP and modding my cables theme..

Stock cables for the thermaltake are excellent.. no complaints...

Its all preference.

tvos

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube