add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Random W10 Clean Install Question

awhurley11
  • 39 months ago

Hi all,

This will be my first time building a PC, hopefully should be able to build it this weekend. Regarding the Windows 10 install process: (Title clarification - I mean clean install in the sense that the PC and drives are new, not that I'm trying to do a clean reinstall over an existing OS)

I will have 2 SSDs (one SATA3 for OS/Apps, one NVMe for data/video editing content). I've looked and saw the way the screen looks when selecting a W10 install drive, and while I assume I would be getting clean drives, I do know that sometimes there is random stuff pre-loaded on drives (at least on externals, maybe it's not the same for internal/OEMs)

That said in the event I don't see something other than Unallocated space on my drives: Which method is preferable for wiping it entirely here? Delete or Format? (I wonder if Format only formats that one partition and not the whole drive, so I'm guessing delete? but not sure)

Also, I've seen some people select the "Unallocated Space" drive and hit next, and some make a partition and then hit next? Does it matter either way? I assume that Windows would make the partitions it needs to but again..just making sure.

Thank you!

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

Keep one SSD plugged in, load Win 10 setup, delete all of its partitions. You'll get 'unallocated space' as the only option. If you select that and hit Next or Install, it'll automatically create the 4 partitions for you. If you click format, it'll create the 4 partitions, and only one will let you install Win 10 on it. Either way, you can't go wrong.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube