add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
fn230
  • 39 months ago

tl;dr: GhostBSD is an OS that is neither Windows, Mac, nor Linux.

I've been trying it out on an old OptiPlex and I must say, it's a really lovely OS. It's visibly faster than Linux, and just as user-friendly as most of the distributions I've tried. Nice installer, nice package manager, and the same basic desktop and software selection (Firefox, LibreOffice, GIMP, etc.). Plus, it's got Wine, which helps a bit with the app situation. The main issue I'm seeing is that it's a hard sell versus Linux. GhostBSD may be faster, but it's otherwise very similar to Linux from an end user's perspective. However, its driver support is worse, it has a slightly lesser selection of software, and it has a significantly lesser selection of games. While GhostBSD has a Linux compatibility layer, it's not perfect, and Wine can't totally compensate either. It's too bad, because I legitimately like the OS so far, and would consider it as my primary were it not for these disadvantages. For now, it's just a curiosity to me, but I'll definitely continue to toy around with it.

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

After you told me that bsd based operating systems aren't Linux-based i started to research and tried a few versions of freebsd. It seems like linux did 6 or 7 years ago. Visual potential, but under development and lack of features. But with distrowatch.com starting to do news on bsd-based os's i think more people and developers are going to want to learn and use bsd and its many forks and it's development will sky rocket in the next few years. It has amazing potential.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree, the BSD situation right now feels very similar to the Linux situation a while back. It's a solid platform and I really hope it can take off.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, once it does, It'll definitely earn it's place one one of my machines permanently.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube