add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Recommendations on psu

Michaelk1
  • 37 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Michaelk1/saved/KfVCJx

What psu wattage would be great for overclocking down the road

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

You'd be fine with 650-750W, you could probably go 550 if you wanted but that wouldn't leave a lot of room.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

According to EVGAs nifty little tool 850W should be perfect for you. I put in that your gpus are about equivalent to the 1080 FTW as the GALAX cards are also made for overclocking. Check out the tool for yourself if you want, http://www.evga.com/power-meter/

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

PSU calculators are not accurate.

Example. Keep in mind this is from the wall and not what the system is using. To get what the system is using I would multiply by .9 since they are likely using a PSU with around 90% efficiency.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/52736/2-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1080-g1-gaming-cards-sli-use-490w-power/index.html

http://www.techspot.com/review/1195-palit-geforce-gtx-1080-sli/page4.html

Totally different than what Evga says and its real world results so you really can't argue with them about them not being accurate. 650W or 750W would be plenty and if you felt ballsy you could even use a 550W PSU.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not arguing with them, just another option and thing to take into consideration. I'm sure 650W or 750W would be plenty, I put everything back into EVGAs calculator but instead used the normal 1080 not the FTW and it recommended a 750W. But even then, they account for worst case scenario then add some so if they don't under recommend. If they did (550W or lower for example, for a build with this spec) and something goes wrong the user might try and hold EVGA or whichever company recommended the PSU accountable. So I know that these calculators aren't accurate for the everyday use case, but imo they shouldn't be ignored, they can give you a good ballpark estimate

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Companies like Evga, Asus, Gigabyte, XFX, Zotac, Sapphire, etc all over recommend due that. It is why it recommends 850W instead of 650, 750, or even 550W since they have no idea how good or bad your PSU is, no idea about your build and how much wattage it needs, and don't want be held accountable if its crappy and something goes wrong. However this is not a problem for OP since he is going to be getting a good PSU and we know his parts.

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya, with EVGAs thing it asks for specifics like how many drives, gpus (even specific gpus from evga ftw, classified, etc), and the chipset and specific CPU. So it gets the big things checked off. Then it doesn't just say go with XXXW, it recommends specific PSUs from their lineup. So I feel that's theirs is one of the better ones, but even so...they want to make money, they even emailed me a coupon code after I used it XD

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

So I feel that's theirs is one of the better ones, but even so...they want to make money

There is definitely a conflict of interest going on, the bigger the unit the more money they will make. That is something I haven't thought of.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube