add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How much headroom is enough headroom?

mustafa_kapadwala
  • 37 months ago

So I currently have a 500w corsair psu, and I want to upgrade my PC with some better parts, causing the wattage used to be around 392w. Will that cause problems? Thanks

Comments

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

It will have plenty of wattage. Honestly you don't need any headroom as most parts take less power than their TDP suggests. The only reason people recommend headroom is for upgrading in the future. What parts exactly do you have planned that are taking 392W?

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

upgrading to an i7 and gtx 1070

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

Then you will be a OK even if you add a second 1070. You've got nothing to worry about.

• 37 months ago
  • -2 points

54".

=D

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd be guessing the 500W CX or CX-M but I don't know either

• 37 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#m=11&W=500&xcx=0

It has to be one of these, its likely not the VS since its pretty new and the GS is pretty old so its likely a CX.

[comment deleted]
  • 37 months ago
  • 1 point

the cxm, and based off the pcpartpicker list

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube