add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Hunter844
  • 39 months ago

Decided to put Bodhi on my Toshiba A355 laptop and so far I like it over Ubuntu Gnome3. I'm still learning about it so can't really review in specifics other than I like the DE and it seems pretty easy to tweak the layout however you want it. It comes with the Midori browser that looks promising but so far I haven't been able to get it to run basic videos so there is some issues with that. I ended up getting Chromium and everything runs fine so far that I've tried. I think it runs smoother than the Gnome3 version I had on it. The themes are very nice looking that come with it but I ended up downloading another theme called Forum that I liked the best.

The things I'm not sure about are reducing the brightness on the display...it's set to burn my eyeballs now but it's even better graphics than the prior Os I had on here so I'm guessing this intel hardware must like Bodhi better. I actually think it looks better than it ever did running Windows versions. My battery life isn't good but it wasn't good on windows or Gnome3 either...I think that's just this power hungry laptop.

I haven't played with it but it's got a setting that you can build an ISO with all your preferences and apparently packages that you want so that you can put it on other computers. I'm mainly playing around on this laptop looking for a version that I can get happy with for my desktop that currently has Windows 7 on it.

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice to see others doing Linux reviews. I've heard of Bodhi before; never really used it though. It's an Enlightenment desktop, right?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

The way I understand it...the Moksha DE is from Enlightenment. Basically the entire project started out as Enlightenment. That's all above my pay grade.

I don't know why but it just seems a little more understandable so far for me. I think my mistake when using the Buntu-Gnome3 was hitting the update button a few too many times. Somehow I ended up accidentally removing the software app center and it wouldn't update to fix whatever it was I messed up. I was planning to look at other Linux versions anyway so I moved on.

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

Ubuntu and its weird headaches are why I don't use it as my main OS anymore.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

First bug which may be my old laptop hardware...

I hibernated it last night before going to bed. This morning I get up and wake up the computer and the wifi would not work at all. Said wifi was disabled...and never could figure out how to restart it. The Icon on the laptop was off but the switch was in the on position. So i restarted it...still nothing. I decided to turn it completely off and let it set a few seconds and then boot up. wifi Light comes on and it works fine. So evidently it's not handling some kind of suspend mode very well.

So far the only thing I'm not liking is there really isn't much hardware system detail from the desktop. Like if I wanted to go into a device setting or something...it just not there. If I wanted to look and see what cpu or how much memory...it's not there. It's odd that they wouldn't provide that. There is a task manager I can download for it but that's not really what I'm talking about. My like a system monitor and hardware itemization.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

hardinfo is probably the tool you're looking for; it's very similar to the Windows Device Manager. On Bodhi it should be possible to install it from the default software repositories. In a terminal, run sudo apt-get install hardinfo. Or you can install it from the Software Center or whatever. Most Linux distros don't have it preinstalled, but the option is definitely there.

There are also command line tools for this stuff. In a terminal, cat /proc/cpuinfo gets you detailed CPU info for example.

Also, some Linux distros can be flaky with hibernate and suspend on certain laptops like that.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. That's the ticket!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube