add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows 10 OEM versus retail - which one?

PhotoGirl14
  • 39 months ago

I've read a couple articles regarding how OEM versions of Windows are cheaper and great for a fresh build, but from what I gather, their downside is an OEM serial will only work with one motherboard EVER...Whereas the retail version of Windows (while it costs a little more) can be transferred to a different computer if you need to; It's not 'married' to just one mobo. So say, for example, my motherboard gets fried. I need to replace it and I've purchased the OEM Windows 10...Does that mean I will have to purchase another Windows 10 license, or is there a way to use that OEM serial still?

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 4 points

... my motherboard gets fried. I need to replace it and I've purchased the OEM Windows 10...Does that mean I will have to purchase another Windows 10 license ...

Yes.

Microsoft OEM Software Licensing: Rules & Restrictions:

OEM Software may NOT be transferred to another machine. Even if the original laptop, PC or Server is no longer in use, or if the software is removed from the original hardware, OEM licenses are tied to the device on which the software is first installed...

Note: The extra $17.00 also gets you the Win10 media in USB flash drive ready to use. Unless you have a preference for disc media.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I've hear some have been able to get away with motherboard replacements by contacting Microsoft.

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm fairly sure you can contact Microsoft about that. Otherwise, that serial is indeed useless.

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

Hmm that's what my brother thought, but I haven't been able to find actual Microsoft info regarding it...So for an extra $20 I guess I'd rather be safer than sorry and get the retail version.

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

Two main difference. 1) OEM, you have to contact the person who built your PC for troubleshoot. Retail, you can contact Microsoft for help with your PC.

2)OEM, it's tied to your motherboard. Retail, you can transfer it to another computer, just contact Microsoft to help you (not stuck to one motherboard for the end of the OS life cycle).

I could be wrong.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for clarifying! I purchased the retail. :)

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

No problem; also forgot to add that OEM can be disabled if you buy it from a third party dealer if they suspect it being used multiple times on different machines.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube