add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First time builder needs help with OS

Graehart
  • 39 months ago

I had an issue with the flash drive not being detected by the win10 creation tool. I have found a way around this. First a little background. I am not the computer nerd I wish I was. I had an issue with my laptop and had someone "fix" it. It came back with a less than legit version of windows on it. I am now trying to become the computer nerd I want to be. I am trying to build my first computer. Parts are on the way and I still don't have an OS. I planned on running win10 "free mode" till I can afford activation key ( see previous statement about parts on the way) My less than legit laptop was having trouble with the creation tool recognizing my flash drive ( read sandisk wont work so I got a PNY and it still didn't work) so I am using my fathers computer ( legit windows 10) so here is my question: If I create a bootable flash from his ( legit ) computer and use it as my install on my ( new not yet built pc, not the badtop ) will it steal his activation code / legitness onto my computer. I can not stress enough I DO NOT want that to happen. He will kill me. I am happy to purchase an activation code when budget allows and with windows offering free 10 use in the mean time I just want to make sure I don't screw over and incur the wrath of my dad. Thanks for your knowledge. Sincerely, First Timer

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

If you already have the Win10 ISO file, a popular software to create a bootable USB media: Rufus.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

The win10 creation tool said it made a bootable flash drive for me. My concern, maybe I wasn't clear, is that I created the boot flash from a computer with a legit windows 10. I will be installing fresh when I complete my build. Does the bootable flash drive steal the authentication from the computer it was made on and move it to the new PC or is a new code required

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

No transfer of key of any kind, PERIOD.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome thank you.

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

You're welcome.
Rufus was mentioned since Microsoft's utility failing is not exactly new.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Gotcha. Yea I think the problem was the original attempt was made on a laptop running a non genuine windows 7. When I used the legit windows 10 computer it went off without a hitch. Greatly appreciate the help. My dad was freaking out thinking I stole his windows and after he said it I wasn't 100% lol

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube