add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I upgrade?

Matnoob12

34 months ago

My current build has an i5-6500 chip. I'm looking to upgrade my GPU soon to a 1070 or better from my current 960. Wanted to know if I would benefit also from an upgraded CPU...say an i7-7700. I'm not an overclocker thus the reason for the locked chips. I'm aware that I'd need to upgrade my motherboard if I decided to upgrade my CPU also.

Also, if I only upgraded my GPU and went all in and got the GTX 1080 ti would it bottleneck my CPU(i5-6500)?

Thanks!!!!!

Comments

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

You don't need to upgrade your motherboard but you probably will need to update bios.

Do you game on 1440p 144hz or 4k? If you don't just stick with the 1070 unless you just need to have the best.

In a handful of games that use more than 4 threads you might get better performance with a 7700/1080TI vs 6500/1080TI.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes. The hyperthreading seems like a nice feature.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless you're aiming for 144hz, it's not worth it.

It will fun fine with a 1080Ti.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

fun fine

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

LMAO!

Best mistake ever. I don't even know how.

Definitely saving this.

[comment deleted]
  • 34 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't. Just inquiring.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube