add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help!! Corsair ax860i won't stay on when cpu is connected!

Wally2010
  • 76 months ago

PC only 2 months old-- see my completed build. Added a new hd today and when I went to turn back on, it will power on for a sec then turn off, try again and again and again. After fooling around for an hour I discovered that it will boot to a 00 code when and only when I unplug the CPU connector from the PSU. I tried a different cpu power cable -- same problem. Any thoughts? PSU or mobo?

Comments

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

I would unplug the new hard drive to return to a state where thing were working previously. You'll always need the CPU power connected - the system absolutely won't boot without it.

If the system boots with the new hard drive unplugged, the drive is likely the culprit. If the system no longer boots as it was without the drive, the PSU may have died. In that case you could either RMA the PSU if you're within the return window, or purchase an inexpensive power supply tester to see if that is the issue (before shelling out a lot more money for a new PSU).

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks Philip- I did unplug the new HD-- still the same. The PSU seems to be working properly when I unplug only the CPU power connector- of course it doesn't boot because the CPU isn't accessed- but all the lights, fans etc come on

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you clear the cmos???

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

yes I did, still no luck

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube